Tech Support banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Assuming I am never going to be buying any video games ever, would it make a substianial difference with say Adobe Premiere or AI based applications?

I see the Ray Tracing, and the framerates for Doom Eternal, but I am not seeing much in the way of chugging through film or autocad or Watson, DeepVision, TensorFlow, or even examples of them being used with Nvidia's deep learning AI

Would it make sense to buy a 3080 now (or should I say when they are closer to $700 again) and then the 5080 or whatever in 2 years, or would a 3090 be worth it for deadline's sake

I upgraded from a 660 to a 10800 Ti and the workflow was astronomically faster. I mean I was also going from DDR4 2166 to 3200 and 500 Md ATA to 4000 nVME, but the 1080 Ti was what projected a NOTICEABLE difference (even the 1080 was about 40% slower just so you understand the reference point).

Some people are saying a possible $999 3080 Ti may come, but I would like to bet on the sure thing. So wait a month to get the 3080 or wait 5 days to get the 3090 if I can snag one?

·
Moderator , Windows Tech Team , Hardware Tech T
Operating Systems || Hardware || Most Tech Stuff
3,165 Posts
I get where you're coming from, been there myself a few times, but it's unpredictable, some times new cards give exponential performance difference, other times it can suck (If you know the 8800 GTX era, this old card was a super star compared to a few cards which came after) we can make a recommendation, but it might not be accurate.

1080Ti is a pretty good card to hold on to for a bit, that's my opinion, also, the nVME transition would have made a huge performance impact as well when used for data modelling, hold on for a bit, let there be a few testers, let them measure the performance and share the benchmarks, compare it against the 1080Ti and then take a call.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts