Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought I would be of some help and delete the worm_badtrans virus from my sisters computer and instead of disinfecting the virus ( I used Bullguard) I ended up deleting the files it was attached too. It ended up erasing the start up files for her computer so I had to use a reboot disk to get back her start up files. Now the computer works really fast except for one minor thing. It did something to her dsl modem because when I try to get on line a pop up window appears saying no file can be found and it doesn't let me type in her user name and password in the conection box. She has Verizon as a dsl company.
Anyone have an idea how I can fix this?
Thanks

·
Registered
286 Posts
Deckman,

The first I'd do is boot to a DOS prompt and then do a [Dir] on the Windows directory to see what's there and what's not. Then get back to us with the results.

It would be helpful if you could tell us what the operating system is and a little info. on the computer it's self.

twas :rolleyes:

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The problem we have now is that I was visiting her out of state and now I'm home. Her computer knowledge is limited to turning it on and off. The computer is an Emachine with win/98 2nd addition. Before I deleted the virus it took 15 minutes to reboot the computer. I know the virus is gone now. I am thinking that maybe it was a drive that I deleted that will not let her sign in to get on line. I may have her call Verizin and tell them she can't get on line and maybe they can walk her through it.
Thanks

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
experiance with the Dsl guys is thier going to make sure thier software works then direct you to the modem people...you are defintly on the right track by reinstalling the driver for the modem...also after virus attack it can hurt to re-run your OS set up...look under windows options ...and cabs (if the OS came pre installed) there should be a setup there...Have your CD key ready then let it rip...if not load the CD in and run setup from there...viruses can effect things that you dont realize and an OS restore will fix it nicely

Good Luck

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.