Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It could be an exaggeration.

I have:
Run registry cleaners (turning up more 1,000 errors but since I'm unemployed, I'm trying not to purchase anything till I receive expert advice at least)
Run virus scans (clean bill of health)
Defragmented all hard drives

The computer is three years old only.

What else can I do?

·
TSF Team Emeritus, Microsoft Support
15,478 Posts
A Registry Cleaner will make things worse IMO. There is no reliable way for a third party program to know whether any particular key is invalid, redundant or neither. Poorly designed registry cleaners may not know for sure whether a key is still being used by Windows or what detrimental effects removing it may have. This has led to examples of registry cleaners causing loss of functionality and/or system instability.
Although the advantages look like they outweigh the disadvantages it will only cause harm to the system.
http://www.techsupportforum.com/mic...p-support/announcement-registry-cleaners.html

The best way to speed up a computer is to add more RAM. What are your specs?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
hey thanks.

I've done most of what was recommended in the guide that dalseyefox gave - and will do the rest.

Geekgirl, my RAM is 504MB. is that quite respectable? After all, the system came with that RAM and XP installed, so I assume it should be suitable for my use.

cheers~

·
Registered
831 Posts
Ok i have the same probs as you do. I have no money at all. What you should do is try going to Garage sails. I find people who have computers that they think are broken but in reality all they need is a small tweaking. Try it it takes time of corse but the most fun is when you combine computer parts to make a whole new computer. This is the best suggestion i have for yo good luck

·
Registered
352 Posts
Glad to hear you are following the guide. Geekgirl is absolutely right about increasing your ram to speed up your computer. Alot of companies only install enough ram to make your computer run good. If you plan on keeping the computer you should find the maximum amount of ram that it is capable to hold and install it. You can go to crucial.com and let it scan your system and it will tell you what kind of ram your computer needs, what is in it now, the maximum allowable. Your manufacturers site should also tell you this. The one thing you should be careful when uninstalling or installing ram they reccomend wearing a wrist strap when you do. The reason being if you have ever walked across a floor and when you touched a doorknob and got a little jolt of electricity, that is static electricity--you don't want to do that to your ram it will render it useless. Personally I touch metal inside the case to discharge static my body may contain. I'm sure the wrist strap is the best option though and they are very inexpensive. Shop around for your ram, prices vary, sometimes quite a bit. Myself especially when looking for older ram have found ebay to be the best place to buy it, and have had no problems--GOOD LUCK!!!

·
Registered
14 Posts
May help you guys in finding ways why computers run slow at times,and these procedures i do myself in maintaining mines.To my knowledge Ram does not makes a system run faster it stabilizes it from freezing or crashing.XP can run on 256mb but i rather have 1gb,because today's apps are ram hungry,and another thing,If your video is integrated,,it's a must to have more ram.You can always clean the heatsink and system fan,add some paste [artic silver].

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.