Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All

First, I apologize if this is a repeat thread. I just wanted to make sure I lay out my situation as best as I could! I have had issues with WoW ever since they released the new "patch" last week. Randomly during gameplay, my entire system will freeze up. It stays frozen for about 10 seconds and then the screen will flash a couple times. Once this is over, an error message will appear on my screen which reads...

"Warning - Display Driver Stopped Responding

The ialmrnt5 display driver has stopped working normally. Save all work and reboot the system to restore full display functionality"

When this message appears, by display is in a VERY low resolution (4 bit) and I am forced to restart my machine.

I have tried to research the "ialmrnt" error and most posts I find seem to point to a problem with my display driver. However, each web search I found seems to have a different solution and to be perfectly honest, I do not really trust any of the web sources I was viewing, so I have come here to you guys having used this forum many times in the past with excellent results :)

My laptop is a Dell Latitude D820 a little over a year old. It has a Core Duo 2 CPU T5500 @ 1.66GhZ (whatever that means, ha ha) with 2GB RAM. I ran the Intel chipset identification utility and it spat out this information to me...

Detected Chipset:
Mobile Intel(R) 945GM/GMS/940GML Express Chipsets or Intel(R) 945GT Express Chipset

Memory Controller:
82945GM/GMS/82940GML or 82945GT

I/O Controller:
Intel(R) 82801GBM I/O controller hub (ICH7M)

Any information regarding a fix for this with instructions on how to do so would be greatly appreciated. Thank you all for your time!

·
Oh! What shall I be?
2,741 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi All

Thank you for the input. The Dell website indicated that there were no display driver updates for my machine. Also, the WoW patch is needed for the game, so I cannot uninstall it. Any other suggestions?

Thank you

·
TSF Team Emeritus
3,450 Posts
Snoopdogie should be right, I've had that 'Display driver has stopped responding' error a few times before and re-installing the drivers has fixed it every time. They just seem to be temperamental things that go corrupt whenever they feel like it.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you for the input guys, I really appreciate it. Would anyone be willing to write out step by step how I am supposed to reinstall my display driver and where I can obtain it from?

Thank you again

·
TSF Team Emeritus
3,450 Posts
Go to Add/Remove Programs. (Should be in your control panel)
Find the Nvidia Drivers and remove them.

Restart your laptop.

Download the new Nvidia Drivers from here. (Go to bottom and expand 'Video', get the Nvidia Driver)

Install it by running .exe, follow steps.

Restart Laptop.

Profit???

·
Registered
10 Posts
same trouble here however i have updated my driver...i think :p
here s my pc info

driver
Intel(R) 82915G/GV/910GL Express Chipset Family

windows xp media center

tell me if something s missing.

thx

·
Oh! What shall I be?
2,741 Posts
Hi, it is best to create your own thread here to have your problems resolved and it also keeps the forum more organized.

Anyway to get you started, I would uninstall the existing graphics card in the device manager, then have windows reinsatlle it.

If you can download the driver directly from the company, if you bought the computer, from their site, if you built it, from intels website then.

·
Registered
10 Posts
hey, i m not really sure if the download for my driver is only an update or if it s a total reinstallation. Sorry my english is a bit rusty >_<
anyways, here s my pc and the driver i want to download. I want to know if i ll be able to reinstall my driver with that download after deinstalling it.
Thx a lot for helping me out =)

my pc:
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareList?os=228&lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&lang=en&product=1849529#

the driver i want to download:
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/...n&dlc=en&cc=us&lang=en&os=228&product=1849529

·
Oh! What shall I be?
2,741 Posts
That is the driver you woud want to use.
You may be able to reinstall it with just that file (can't be sure, it is really all up to HP)
It still may be better to uninstall it through device manager just to make sure it is done nicely.
If you want instructions on this I'm willing to type them out for you.

And just to let you know, I am going to be leaving to go take to exams shortly (I'm a college student) and I won't be back for 4.5 hours or more (between travel time and just the exams) then you may have to wait a little after than since I would need to have dinner then.
I just wanted to let you know I will be busy for the rest of the night and not to expect a quick reply, sorry

·
Registered
10 Posts
hey, i just want to make sure that if i uninstall the driver, i am sure to be able to reinstall it. Cause if the download from the link i gave you doesn t work, i don t want to be stuck and not be able to use my pc till i find an other driver, if i do.

·
Registered
10 Posts
i also forgot to tell you,i have tried the download from the link i gave you a few weeks ago, but i hadn t uninstalled my driver first. So maybe there was corrupted files or something. I also saw that it s an update, so is it still a download able to reinstall my driver completely or just an update. Anyways i hope u can help me out here >_< . I m really discouraged with this issue.

·
Registered
10 Posts
ho and Wrench97, i only need to download the driver and then i reboot and do your F8 thing?
And do i disable my anti-virus/etc before rebooting and doing your F8 thing or there will be a list when i do the F8 thing where i can disable it. Sorry if i m not very clear, my english is bad hehe.Ho also, why can t i just click on the download and instal it that way?Hope to ear from you guys soon =)

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.