Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,I got a problem that's driving me crazy i need some help from some pros.

For about a week now i haven't been able to view any pages or sites offline.I'm using xp home edition and i.explorer 6.0 and these are the symptoms.

1.When i open explorer while offline i get the message pop up this page is unavailable offline either connect or stay offline.

2.Any site i put in my favourites also isn't available offline.I've tried synchronizing but when i work offline the site is dimmed in my folder and i get the same message as above.

3.I also noticed that html pages that i've visited aren't being stored in my temp internet files only images are.

I've tried all options on explorer but i can't seem to work it out.My experience with computers is limited so any help is greatly appreciated,this is driving me CRAZY!!!

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Well then surfing offline operates on the principle that you download all the stuff to your harddrive before you view it, and if what you say about the syncronization is correct, I think that you are empting the files that it keeps.... try NOT deleting anything the the Temporary Internet Files Folder after you syncronize and give it a shot then....

BTW Welcome to the Tech Support Forums (TSF)... sorry about the wait we've all been kind of busy. Feel free to stop back and tell us how it turns out.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the reply Valiant,i understand that pages are downloaded to my temp folder but it doesn't seem to be storing html pages only images.I've tried all the obvious things also checked internet options but can't figure it out.I'm not knowingly deleting any files could there be an option that i have to turn off?I only got my computer a month ago and everything was working fine until a week ago.Any ideas???:no:

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
Did you install any applications geared for privacy before the problems started..

Actually did you install anything withing close proximity to when the problem arose?

Also if you could list your settings in IE, Tools > Internet Options > Temporary Internet Files Section > Settings Button

And welcome to the forum :D

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the welcome i found this site searching on yahoo.I did install xp office cause i needed ms word and excel and the problem did start around 1.5 weeks later not sure if it's a coincidence, but i have uninstalled all xp office but the problem is still here.I also have downloaded the Getright manager shareware before i installed office xp.

My settings are as follows;
*where it says check for newer versions of stored pages,my setting is Automatically.

disk space for files-7900mb

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
It could possible be GetRight.. I'm not going to point fingers since I don't use it... also try changin the automatically to "Only when I choose Syncronize from the Tools Menu" and then close and reopen the browser... then syncronize the page you want to see and make sure you see the little downloading box go away..... Also are you using AOL in anyway shape or form?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My setting of Automatically isn't in the schedule tab but is the setting for the question TechIsIn asked.I'm not using aol do you guys think i should uninstall Getright?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So what do you think i should do now?Some people did tell me that xp is evil Bill Gates what are you doing to me :angry2:

On a serious note guys my internet time is limited cause i share the phone line i use to do most of my surfing offline but now i can't :|

·
Registered
403 Posts
Hey,

First of all, I find XP very simple, and great. Interms of your problem, the reason is most likely relating to Office, When you uninstalled it, I might have deleted a shared file, thus, Disallowing the computer to store all HTML pages in your temporary internet files folder. Make sure you DO NOT delete the cookies, becuase this could stop you from surfing offline completely. And, if you have any third party programs that diable javascript to stop pop up windows, try un-installing that.

Update us on what happens.

Regards,

Da Tru Masta

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I do have disk cleanup but i have never run it and i don't think it's scheduled or anything like that.I'm starting to really think it's to do with office xp.There's a feature called system restore which i ran to set settings back to before i installed office xp but that didn't work.That brought me to a whole new problem cause i don't have the product number to reinstall office xp but still can have it installed with that feature "system restore" but i'll worry about that problem after i figure this out.If what you say is right DaTrumasta what can i do,it's got to a point where i'm losing sleep now:no:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hi guys,my sanity has come back.:D.I deleted all my temp files and offline content and used system restore to go back to when i first got my computer(roughly 1.5 months ago) now it seems to be okay now i hope it stays that way.I've got another problem but i'll try to solve it myself first before i bore you guys with it:sleep: Thankyou to everybody that helped me.:tongue2:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.