Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm not exactly a "ROOKIE" on a computer but, it sure seems that way. I bought a laptop last week and network it off the desktop. Since then, I try to access the web on the desktop, the "Work Offline" is checked under the file tab. I have to continuously uncheck it to access the web. I've unchecked it but, it reappears. Where have I not looked to turn it off permanently or what have I done to turn it on?

Dell 4700 P4 3.2 GHz w/HT
80 GB HDD, 160 GB HDD
XP Pro SP2

Thanks

·
TSF Team Emeritus , Microsoft Visiting Expert
3,258 Posts
Hi bap0620

You might first want to run some malware scans in both normal & Safe Mode, since the value for "Work Offline" is supposed to stay at whatever you last set it to. If you uncheck it, it's supposed to stay that way.

Try a little cleanup in IE as well -- in the "Advanced" tab of the Control Panel's "Internet Options", go to the "Security" section, and place a check next to "Empty Temporary Internet Files when browser is closed". Then, from the "General" tab, clean up thing manually: click on "Empty Temporary Internet Files", and clear the History as well. If you find your browser going to strange search sites that you haven't asked for, you may have been hijacked & will need to do the 5-step removal http://www.techsupportforum.com/showthread.php?t=15968 -- but that's getting a bit ahead of your current issue.

On the desktop computer, can we assume you have the firewall, antivirus, & antispyware programs installed & running? And the Security Patches from Windows Update are set to download automatically? [Try visiting Windows Update, just in case you recently grabbed a buggy patch - sometimes Microsoft will have another update to "patch the patch"].

You can also try this utility ---
http://windowsxp.mvps.org/IEFIX.htm

You could probably start with Windows Update & cleaning out your IE temp files -- and if that doesn't do it -- then try the IEfix handy-dandy. You also have the option to try a System Restore, using a restore point from before the trouble started.

Make sure the same malware precautions and protections are in place on both the desktop and the laptop, since the malware could re-infect the desktop from the laptop, should that prove to be the source of the trouble.

Best of luck
. . . Gary

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.