Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm using Word 2007 under Windows 7 64 bit. I've made a macro-enabled template deutsch.dotm, to use keystrokes for the German umlauted letters. However, the template file has an exclamation mark on it, as does a macro-enabled normal.dotm.
When I try to use either to make a new document, I get "Word was unable to read this document. Try one or more of the following: Open and repair the file/Open the file with the text recovery converter." There is no text. When I open and repair the file, I have a document on which the macros don't work. When I open the template, the macros no longer work. What could be wrong?

·
Moderator , Microsoft Support, MS Office Pro
2,540 Posts
Hi Hansteis,

Presumably, is the exlamation mark part of the filename, or something else? If its part of the filename, have you tried removing the exlamation mark and adjusting the code to suit?

·
Moderator , Microsoft Support, MS Office Pro
2,540 Posts
Hi Hansteis,

If you mean the exlamation marks on the right-hand side of the icon, they indicate only that the file is a macro-enabled Office 2007 & later file. This happens with Word documents (docm and dotm) and templates and with Excel workbooks (xlsm) too. Nothing to worry about on that front.

If you mean something like, say, an exlamation mark in a circle, and you're using thrid party backup software (eg MozyHome, Norton 360), that might be something your backup software displays to show that the file hasn't been backed up. Other than perhaps needing to make a backup of the file, nothing to worry about on that front either.

Something that would be a cause for concern is file corruption caused by errant software or failing hardware. Some PC/laptop makers have monitoring software that checks files for consistency and flags those that have problems (eg the actual filesize doesn't match the file's properties reported to the operating system, or the file overlaps space used by another file). The fact that Word is unable to open the file suggests this is the area of concern. If the files you're referring to are/were on a USB stick, the cause might be nothing more than the USB stick being removed without using the 'remove safely' feature. In that case, the cure is to obtain another copy of the fiels from their original source.

If Word won't load your Normal.dotm file on startup, the Normal.dotm file is corrupt, in which case I'd suggest deleting it and replacing it with a known good backup copy (assuming you have one); otherwise you'll need to recreate it.

When trying to recover text from a corrupt file, Word doesn't try to recover macros.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.