Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If I choose to display, say, 3 columns (from the Columns button), how can I place the cursor over column 2 or 3; & have it grab? Right now, I have to scroll all the way to the bottom of column 1 to get to column 2; & so on. How can I set this app up to have the columns be independent? Thanks.

mark4man

·
Registered
12 Posts
Mark,
Unfortunately I don't know if it is possible to do that in word working with the columns. I would suggest though that if what you want to do is have text that you can manipulate in columns (to kind of have it look like a newspaper) that you use Microsoft Publisher. Publisher give you layout lines and you can draw your own text boxes and can make text flow from one text box to the next. I believe Microsoft Publisher comes on the second CD that comes with Microsoft Office 2000.

·
Premium Member
598 Posts
I agree with FutureGuru. The type of columns supported in Word 2000 are "newspaper columns". They behavior you are describing is normal. You will not be able to access the next column until the first column is full.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Tech to answer your question Word can allow for newspaper like columns that you display by going to Format and select Column. Or you can add columns by making a table inside word. When you make a table inside word you can tab from one column to another.

My personal opinion Word is good for writing letters, memos, fax cover sheets and documents along that nature. If you want something to look like newspaper columns Publisher is the way to go. And if you need a table Excel is the only way to go cause you can always paste the table in Word from Excel.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.