Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Won't shut down, won't boot

2K views 24 replies 7 participants last post by  dai 
#1 ·
Hi:
I have an XP Home SP1, 2gH 1GB RAM 160GB DSL system. All Windows updates, Norton AV, SpyBot, etc up-to-date (done daily), and no viruses.

I went through the shutdown procedure but the system seemed to ignore it. I tried several times, same result. So I switched off the manual front on/off (hate doing this) but the system would not turn off. So I cut the main switch at the back and it turned off.

On starting the system up it failed. Here's the sequence ..
Switch on (at back then normal button at front)
Lights on CD & DVD drives (normal)
These lights go off (normal)
Series of beeps (unusual - normally one beep)
Floppy drive lights and whirs (normal)
No activity on either of two monitors (unusual)
Light on floppy goes off (normal)
Two beeps followed by another close behind (unusual)
Nothing on monitors
Hard disk light on for a moment
Then nothing .. and more nothing ..

Tried several times, got precisely the same sequence.
Tried turning main power off and repeating. No difference.

Could this be an XP issue with the hibernate function (which I don't use), or some such thing? I would appreciate any help you can give me on this.

Thanks.

See less See more
#2 ·
krot said:
Hi:
So I cut the main switch at the back and it turned off.
There's your problem.

NEVER, EVER DO THAT! :4-thatsba

Now let's hope nothings fried!

Take out the power cord from the back, then hold the power button on your computer for 30 minutes, put back the power cord and then try to turn it on!

*Fingers Crosses Double*

G
#7 · (Edited)
When you turn the computer off with the front push button switch, it is not like the old AT machines where the pc turns off automatically, you have to hold the button in for more then 5 seconds to turn off the computer.

does the indicator lamp on the front of the monitor go from yellow to green ?
make sure that your cd dvd drives are empty, sometimes the computer will try to read these on boot up looking for a boot sector

are you getting an error message on the monitor.. like was mentioned , usually beeps mean one of two things...video card or ram, make sure the pc is unplugged when reseating either, if you have 2 sticks of ram try one at a time.

#8 ·
Hi Guys;

I'm about to do all you suggest. Just had a thought: I have a wireless mouse and I got a message saying the batteries were low - then a second message. I hadn't yet changed the batteries. Could the batteries have died and the system reckon there is no mouse? I have since changed the batteries , but no difference.

Now to work on those boards ..

#9 ·
Hey you guys are amazing!
The monitors showed zilch and their lights remained amber. I checked the beep codes and it said video card .. as you said. I discovered the fan on the card had seized and presumably the card is burnt out .. if I had known I could have replaced the replaceable fan :eek: Oh well. The joys of computing ..
Thanks for helping. Silver lining .. I get a great excuse for a new video card hehe! Unless you've any other ideas on fixing the video card ..

#11 · (Edited)
Won't shut down, won't boot .. still!

Hi again Guys

I bought the new video card (no problem here, I needed it), and installed it firmly. I tested both RAM cards. Yet the same beeps occur with no boot.

Why do I get the feeling I have a motherboard issue? Any more ideas?

Krot

#12 ·
Oh, by the way, the beep pattern is as follows. Can anyone interpret this from the site given above?

2 short beeps close together
Followed by 8 short beeps
After the floppy is tested, 2 short beeps close together
Followed by one short beep

I interpreted this as video card, but it may be the BIOS shutdown. Now is this lad is out of his depth or what :)

#13 ·
Further answers to above questions of your's:

The monitors lights remain at orange - no messages.
I tried one monitor alone, no change.

Whosdat, if I remove the button battery, does this not reset all BIOS settings to the default? Is this what you want it to do maybe?

#14 · (Edited)
boy, that was fast...yes reset the cmos with the battery..[unplug it first]...recheck all the data and power cables, recheck the orientation on them, [reversed ] , recheck everything has the necessary power leed supplied..
once your system is up, there are other options aside from norton -- avg-kaz-ewido..not resource hoggish and are
all free, and will not lock up a system, as does norton, on occassion.

#15 ·
Ok, checked the battery - it was at 0.5v instead of 3v. Changed it, checked the leads. Same result!

By the way, whenever I turn the main power supply off (once the front button is off) I find that when I turn that PS switch on again and then switch the front one on, the computer won't start up. I have to try several times with the front one to get it fired up. There is no pattern to it. Don't know if this means anything ..

What would you recommend next?

#16 ·
Whosdat, I also notice that when I switch on the front power and it fails, that for a moment the rear fans turn (1/2inch) then stop, like they get momentary power. Could the front switch be faulty? Or the power supply? Perhaps it's time for a new case (pleeeese hehe) :)

#18 ·
Ok Whosdat. I jumped the power sw with an HD jumper and switched the unit on at the rear. I take it the unit should power up the moment I switch it on at the rear PS switch. It didn't come on! So I'm guessing we have a PU issue here maybe?

#22 ·
*kiss kiss kiss* *hug hug hug* hahaha

It was the power supply! All's working now. I had previously snaffled a 350W Antec PS from my son's new 450W system, so the 350W it can stay in it's new home :))

Oh well, guess I'll just have to wait for that new case I was hoping I would have an excuse to buy!

Sincerely, thanks all of you and particularly whosdat.

#23 ·
laj52

im not sure how to post.but here is the ? i have, my puter won't shut down.it is a compaq presario i'v had a lot of promblems lately when i first turn it on this is what comes up (RUNDLL)I MIGHT NEED TO WAIT TO SEE what it reads befor anyone can help me.could it be a virus?i have avg 7.1 it said no virus.befor that i had norton.... :4-dontkno

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.