Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Gateway 450sx4 will not power up. The power adapter works, but when I plug it in (with or without batteries) nothing happens. No light, no noise, nothing.

Previous Symptoms: The power switch has been a bit unresponsive lately..... I think.

What I have tried: Googling for a magic bullet or know issues, learning to disassemble the machine to look around for anything suspicious, looking at the power supply board and tapping the little button manually to see if it goes up and down), and removing and replacing memory and each battery. I have never repaired a computer, but figure it was worth looking around inside anyway.

Now I come to you to ask if you have other suggestions of what could be up. Faulty powerboard? Faulty motherboard? Something cheaper? Anything I can do?

I live in a small town with no computer repair services. I called Best Buy and they said their repair department sent all laptops to the service department in Atlanta at the cost of about $30 just for shipping---- and to expect a three-week turn around. I see that power board sell on line for about $50, but I have never replaced one and don't know if it is worth the expense if I can't be pretty sure that would solve the problem (I did find a Service Manual with instructions on how to replace the power-board)

Thanks
Amy

·
Registered
6,168 Posts
welcome to tsf amy
its a tough call, but if it were my laptop, i would get some canned air, and even possibly a can of electronics cleaner, both a radio schack thing, and blast the power button.
the electronics cleaner doesnt dry with a film,
power buttons, like car window switches, are prone to residue just from the touch of our fingers.
but that would be too easy if that cured it
post back

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
whosdat said:
welcome to tsf amy
its a tough call, but if it were my laptop, i would get some canned air, and even possibly a can of electronics cleaner, both a radio schack thing, and blast the power button.
I am not sure I understand. I took the bevel off and removed that whole piece with the power, internet, email buttons. It looks like the power button is just a piece of plastic that when pushed depresses a little button on the power board. (As do the other buttons) The plastic does work. I did manually push on the buttons to see if they depressed and they do. I did this with the power disconnected of course.

the electronics cleaner doesnt dry with a film,
power buttons, like car window switches, are prone to residue just from the touch of our fingers.
but that would be too easy if that cured it
post back[/QUOTE]

What would the residue do? I am not sure I understand. I apologize?

Thanks
Amy

·
Registered
6,168 Posts
no, dont apologize, you have more info on your laptop than i do, seeing you have it apart.
I see that power board sell on line for about $50
it is strictly a guess on my part, but it seems your right on there.
if you can do it yourself, you save alot of bucks right there.
how old is your laptop?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
whosdat said:
no, dont apologize, you have more info on your laptop than i do, seeing you have it apart.
More info, but obviously less sense <laugh> Pretty humbling disassembling a laptop for the first time.

whosdat said:
it is strictly a guess on my part, but it seems your right on there.
if you can do it yourself, you save alot of bucks right there.
how old is your laptop?
Three years old. I just called a local repair facility which said it sounded like a motherboard failure. $350 parts $75 labor. Three year old machine.

I hope that isn't it.

Amy

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.