Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A quick list of my parts for reference:

Mobo: MSI P6N SLI Platnium (OEM, no bridged NB/MOSFETS/SB or second PCIe-x16)
CPU: Pentium D dual core 2.8ghz, stock speed.
PSU: Fatal1ty 550w gaming PSU
GPU: Gigabyte Radeon HD 4870
RAM: 2gb DDR2 667

So this board is an old, dumbed down version of an already old board, but it's been doing me fine until now. I was planning on upgrading next month anyway to a ASRock P43DE3 and some Ripjaw DDR3 1600, but I need to get this solved since a PS3 doesn't exactly come with Microsoft Office. The problems started about two or three weeks ago when I shut down for the night, and it refused to POST the next morning or give a code. After doing everything from re-setting the CPU to dusting the fans, nothing worked. By some stupid passing thought, I took out the battery and turned off the PSU and put it back 15 minutes later after CMOS reset, and it booted. I havn't shut down since then, until I completely forgot today. The successful method from before didn't do a thing this time. I ran up to the dollar store and even bought a new battery and to no avail.
Ideas?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
and welcome to the Forum

I would suspect the power suppy . . it was not very good to begin with and age has likely sent it to it's grave
The PSU is actually fairly new, gotten last autumn. I swapped it out with my old PSU (a supposed 600w who's voltage drop in OCCT said otherwise, It worked fine but I wanted something more secure) and it was the same problem, and the PSU worked fine when i wrapped it in anti-static and put it in my parts drawer. I don't see how letting CMOS reset (especially after countless reboots beforehand, not to mention removing everything except the CPU+GPU and still nothing) would let it POST and run for weeks if it was the PSU. I don't want to argue with you guys, I'm open to anything at this point, but I HIGHLY doubt it's the PSU since it was the first thing I tested. It hardly has >2k hours on it, if even.

I do have access to a friend's, who has a 500w Antec in it. I can try to swap both ways to have some harder proof against it, but I'm in the middle of making dinner.

·
Registered
5,202 Posts

·
Emeritus
51,675 Posts
A failed PSU will result in no post.
I would also suggest a bench test.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Put my 550w into my friend's who was using an Antec 500w. Booted just fine. It's not the power supply, which is something I've said in the beginning. Already did a "bench test" when the problem first happened, wouldn't boot with just the CPU still in. It's obviously the motherboard. Considering I got a temporary success by taking out the battery for a few minutes to reset it, one would assume my PSU isn't made from paperclips and paper mache, as you guys seem to think.

At this point, I want to know why what I did had temporary success, and if that points to anything I havn't thought of to let it boot until I can buy a new one.

·
Emeritus
51,675 Posts
When doing a Bench Test properly and you get no post the only alternative is to substitute parts. I would still suggest trying a good quality PSU in your PC before entirely ruling out that possibility considering the capability of the one you are using.
You said in your first post you were going to replace the Mobo so I wouldn't dump anymore money into what you have. I would suggest considering a better brand of Mobo. Asus & Gigabyte are the better choices.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
When doing a Bench Test properly and you get no post the only alternative is to substitute parts. I would still suggest trying a good quality PSU in your PC before entirely ruling out that possibility considering the capability of the one you are using.
You said in your first post you were going to replace the Mobo so I wouldn't dump anymore money into what you have. I would suggest considering a better brand of Mobo. Asus & Gigabyte are the better choices.
I placed the 500w in my system after removing any accessories that would add unneeded wattage, and it didn't boot. Given that, I'm going ahead with the plans to replace the mobo+RAM next month and see what happens.

As for my choice in the new mobo, The ASRock P43DE3 has recieved great reviews and is incredibly affordable for the features. ASRock is a secondary company run by the co-founder of Asus, so It's on the same standards. I would not get a gigabyte, despite being such high quality. Their customer service is horrid and RMAing with them is a nightmare.

·
Emeritus
51,675 Posts
ASRock are second tier Asus. I'm not personally familiar with Gigabyte Mobo's or support but many professional builders on this site use Gigabyte Mobo's.
:4-dontkno
In the end, your money your decision.
Best of luck.

·
Premium Member
77,999 Posts
no one said there was anything wrong with the psu

we just pointed out it was under powered for the system

would you put a 4cly. motor in a tank and expect it to run it

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.