Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,
Ive just started to build my new system and upon booting to install the OS, the bios will not detect the 2x200GB SATA II drives i have installed. I have tryed updating the drivers off the MB Cd but still no luck. My system specs are below.

P4 3.4GHz 2MB Cache - 64-bit option
1GB DDR2 Ram
2x200GB SATA Type II HDD's
ASUS P5ND2-SLI DELUXE M/B
XFX 7800GTX VIDEO CARD

Can anyone help????

Thanks

·
Registered
25,116 Posts
Welcome to TSF:

are your drives being recognized and identified correctly in the bios ?????

did you load the sata driver for your sata controller ????? (not raid controller)

is the raid disabled in the bios ???????

what version of windows xp are you using SP-1 or SP-2

have you read the manual throughly ? are you connected to the correct sata ports ?? sata not raid port connectors @ mobo ??????

regards

joe

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the welcome. Currently i am not running any OS due to not being able to get past this issue with the hdd's. I have read the manual and it does not tell you a great deal on installation of the hdd's. Basically plug in and go is their response. i believe i have installed the sata controller driver as downloaded from their site as well as off their cd. Hit F6 during installation and install correct sata drive controller. It all goes through ok until it tries to access the hdd's. Also raid is disabled in the bios.

The drives are connected to SATA port 1 & 2 out of a possible 4

·
Registered
25,116 Posts
Ok / what you have done so far is correct !!

aree the drives recognised and identified properly ( model & size) in the bios start0up screen

what version of XP is your disk Service pack 1 or SP-2 there is a 137 gig windows barrier that is overcome by SP-2

also bios revisions ?????? are there newer bios releases than what you are running / if so >>> most of the bios revisions coming out for newer boards have fixes to improved sata drive detection

make sure you use the DOS based prog if you update your bios / it should be either Afudos or Aflash
also download the newest version of the bios utility too off the website for your mobo / if you need a step by step I can post one
dont use ez-bios or live update

please answer the ???? i have concernig your install

regards joe

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ok, the bios will not recognise the hdd's at all. the OS i am trying to setup is xp pro with sp1 but i cannot even get that far as their is no hdd's installed to run the os off.

I checked the asus website for bios updates but i am unsure which one if any is suitable for update. Could you possibly have a look and let me know if i need to download one of them.

http://support.asus.com/download/download.aspx?SLanguage=en-us

ASUS P5ND2-SLI DELUXE

Im a bit out of my depth.

Thanks

·
Registered
25,116 Posts
Lain:

You will need the awdflash tool version 8.29 and the most recent bios released last july is bios 0802

here is a brief description of how to update your bios:

There are two other methods depending on your mobo / you will have either aflash(awdflash is you) or afudos

both of those work in DOS / they both are the champs of bios flashing / they both back-up your old copy of your bios and they almost never fail to complete a flash !!!!! cant say that for EZ-Bios or Live Update !!!!

the only draw back to the DOS bios utilities versions (aflash & afudos) is the lack of DOS in Win xp & win 2000

but thats easily corrected by downloading DRDFLASH from bootdisk.com

its the second item on that webpage "driverless bios flashing"
download the drdflash / then go to the location you downloaded it to / put in a floppy disk / then click on drdflash / it will prepare the floppy for a DOS boot

then you will need to go to your mobo website / download the newest DOS bios utility that works for your mobo (check your manual ) it should be either aflash or afudos

you will then copy the bios utility to your prepared DRDFLASH prepared floppy disk

then you will need to download the newest bios for your mobo and use an zip prog to unzip the bios file and the newer bios updating tool as well !!

copy the newest version to the prepared floppy

dont copy over a zipped bios or any folders you may have put the bios file in / just copy the bios file to the prepared floppy disk

then put the floppy disk with all files copied in your floppy drive and reboot (you will need to make sure your computer bios are set to boot from the floppy drive first ) boot order

when you restart the computer with the prepared DRDFLASH disk it will boot to an A: prompt then you will have to type the command that is outlined in your mobo manual for your utility version

the rest is DAMN easy / just follow the prompts from within the bios flashing utility !!!!! its fool proof at that point

·
Registered
25,116 Posts
there is no sense even trying for an install until the sata drives are detected and identified in the bios

dont forget you must set your boot order

floppy drive first boot / cd-rom drive 2nd device sata drive third device

once you get the OS installed you will need to change the boot order again to floppy first / sata drive second / cd-rom drive third

joe

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ok just to get this right before i start. which app do i need to flash the bios, awdflash ( which is supplied by my mobo manufac ) or drdflash? Once that is done, then do i boot from another floppy or the original with the app on it, and install the bios?? If i am completely wrong, could you possibly set it out in steps.

Sorry for the lack of knowledge but this is the first time i have ever done this.

Thanks

·
Registered
25,116 Posts
Yeah / I think we better go with the steps >>> i got you well confused

step by step

1) go to bootdisk.com and download DRDFLASH / its the second item on the webpage "driverless bios flashing"

2) go to the downloaded drdflash file on your computer / put a fresh floppy in drive ( a new floppy is prefered) click on the drdflash icon / it will automatically format and prepare the floppy for DOS booting

3) go to asus website / go to downlaods section for YOUR motherboard / download two files
a: download the newest bios file you wish to install
b: download the newest version of the flash utility for your mobo (awdflash)

4) after you have successfully downloaded the two files off the asus site / you will need to unzip them / use a unzipping tool to unzip both the bios file and the bios AWDflash utility to a folder >> you need to pay attention to where the zip extraxction tool is sending the unzipped files ????

5) Put the floppy disk which has been prepared by DRDFLASH into the floppy drive / now copy the unzipped files of both new bios file and awdflash utility to the floppy disk

6) you need to shutdown the computer / enter the bios and make sure the boot order is set to floppy drive as first boot option ???

7) read your mobo manual @ updating bios section / there will be a command you must type to activate the awdflash program / the instructions in the manual at this point are very clear to follow >> play close attention to spaces in the command and direction of any slashes that may be used >>> note which way they lean /// \\\ they are different !!

8) reboot the computer with the new floppy disk in the floppy drive / you will see a "starting DR DOS or Caledera info" thats good >> when its done booting into DOS it will bring you to an A: prompt

9) thats where you type the command shown in mobo manual & hit enter

10) the rest is easy just follow the on screen menu's

11) NEVER REBOOT OR SHUT OFF POWER DURING THIS BIOS UPDATING PROCEDURE OR YOUR COMPUTER WILL BE LEFT IN A STATE OF NON-OPERABLE

I would take a "dry" run at this / I think with aflash you can just back-up your old bios first then exit / that should increase you confidence and give you faith to restart again and really make the update ?????

the end >>> lights please LOL

just take your time and enjoy learning the ins & outs of computer maintenance
or get a big hammer

regards

joe

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thankyou very much for the help joe. Very much appreciated. This forum is very good.

Thanks guys

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hi Joe,
I just went through the process of flashing and re-installing the new bios as outlined in your instructions. Everything went smooth as and it updated no trouble at all but upon re-booting the machine, no detection off hdd's. I then updated the drivers for the sata controller from the web site and still nothing.

Can you think of anything else that i can do or do you think i have a faulty board.

Thanks mate

·
OmegaDawn
781 Posts
Some BIOS have different SATA controllers.
You said the RAID was disabled.
Enable the RAID controller and you should get a
secondary BIOS display after the primary BIOS runs
and should show your drives.
You do not have to set up a RAID array if you are using
the drives separately,but you need the controller enabled to detect the drives.

·
Registered
25,116 Posts
You should have two sata contollers on board. Try plugging your drive into the "other" sata connections and try a re-boot

also have you loaded you motherboard chipset drivers / the main chipset drivers that is. (should be an .inf driver) because your motherboard will have to have its IDE controller squared away before it can also add "bossing" of the sata controller to its list of duties

keep us posted

joe

·
Registered
25,116 Posts
Check the following things in your bios

first step . enter bios click on the RESTORE BIOS DEFAULTS / then make sure to exit and save

sata ports 1 & 2 = enabled manual 4-32

check manual 4.3.6 = extended ide drive [auto]
access mode [auto]

review manual 4.3 / your sata drives need to be listed in this menu / when you get the correct controller driver installed the drive will appear listed under "sata 1"

very important to review / 5.2.2 THIS IS OF UPMOST IMPORTANTANCE
did you install the nvidia nforce chipset drivers ???????
(nvidia nforce chipset drivers > driver version 7.13 for win 2000 & XP)

under 5.2.2 / seems to imply you must install the PATA RAID DRIVER / to activate the SATA drives ??????

5.2.4 make disk menu
make nvidia nforce 32bit sata raid driver disk & PATA raid disk

>>>>> at this point I would install both / worse case senario we can "disable" which ever controller we dont want to function once you get drives working !!
I would install one of the drivers first / then look in the bios to see if the drive is detected yet ???? if not install the other driver then check again.
NEVER GANG LOAD DRIVERS !!!!!!!!! install one driver at a time and restart the computer >> never install two drivers at the same time !!

let us know your status with these items

regards

joe

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hey Guys,
Just an update on the situation i had above. Faulty HDD's. what is the chance of 2x 200gb hdd's failing at the same time :4-dontkno Anyway, i recieved the replacements and she is up an running. Thanks for all the help.

·
Registered
25,116 Posts
WOW:

glad I didnt bet a paycheck on that one !! your odds of two bad drives that are brand new is equal with winning the lottery !!!

maybe you getter get soem tickets / youre luckier than most :)

happy to hear you are up and running !!

cheers

joe

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.