Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Dell Dimension 2350 and when I left the house this morning it was working and I left it on. When I came home from work I notice that it was off. I powered it on and it won't boot pass the win xp logo screen. It just powers off. I keep trying but it just doesn't go pass the logo screen. I tried to start it in the safe mode but it would shut down before it could go into safe mode. Please tell me what could be wrong and what should I do?

·
Team Manager , Articles Team
11,900 Posts
Hi mlum,

Try going into the 'Safe Mode' menu screen again, but this time select Last Known Good Configuration...follow the on-screen instructions.

Post back with the results.

Kind regards,

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
okay, I powered it up and I hit the F8 to late so it went as far as the welcome screen before shutting down. Now it won't stay on for more than a few seconds before shutting down. Could it be the power supply? There is no beeps at all.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Okay, I was able to get to the Last good configuration screen and made the selection but it would just shut down. When I try to power up again it would shut down after a few seconds. If I wait for a minute and try again it seems to stay powered up longer but not long enough for it to boot up.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Okay, I opened the computer panel and the heat sink is partially on the cpu, the plastic brackets for the hold down is broken. Anyways, I removed the heat sink cleaned it and the cpu with alcohol and put a little zelman grease on it and pressed the heat sink back on. I left the computer on its side because the hold down is broken and that way the heat sink would not fall off. I powered up the computer and it's working. Do they just sell that plastic part that is screwed on the motherboard for the heat sink hold down bracket?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.