Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi all, yesterday done my usual cleanup ,took side off pc blew out all dust then put side back on ....booted up pc, no picture on monitor ,thought it must be loose connection , but i was'nt , so i thought it was the graphics card had gone, so tried it on another pc, it was ok ,found out that it was the ide ribbon cable..so replaced it, but now it won't boot from cd or hardive,i get a black screen with: reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media in selected boot device and press a key, which I've done but it just comes back to this screen again....thanks mark

·
Registered
625 Posts
Did you replace the IDE cable exactly as the previous cable? How many drives do you have on that cable? Check the jumper on the master drive and see if it is 'cable select' or 'Master' and post back. Also what made you think it was the cable?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Did you replace the IDE cable exactly as the previous cable? How many drives do you have on that cable? Check the jumper on the master drive and see if it is 'cable select' or 'Master' and post back. Also what made you think it was the cable?
no, new cable was single ,just the one connector...not double like old...using another one for dvd drive....I replaced the cable because it looked worn,and ruled out other things...the jumper is master...I have managed to get it all back on, but have had no luck installing new OS..I think that it might be a problem with harddrive...tried to use repair disc but it would'nt recognise it?
thanks mark..

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.