Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, a buddy of mine's POS laptop isn't booting since he lent it to his friend. (Great friend huh?)

It's got Vista home premium, I've had a play with it and it wont boot in safe mode, the recovery tool fails, he has no restore points, and it's basically bricked. (BIOS sees the hard drive, the memory test tool doesn't report any problems, so HD is fine as far as I can tell)

He's happy to lose his C: drive, and I'm not willing to spend any effort on it. However, he's not happy to spend any cash on it, which is a problem because he doesn't have a windows disk.

The hard drive also doesn't have a recovery sector.

Is there a way to legally download Windows Vista? If I'm going to go through the effort of pirating a copy of Windows Vista, to then use a legal key he has stuck to bottom of it, then I might as well just download a OS that isn't terrible tbh.

So yeah
TLDR:
Vista Broke. Need disc, is there a way to download a .ISO for Windows Vista without infringing copyright laws? Or is it a case of "Put hand in pocket."

·
Registered
40,749 Posts
No, you cannot download any Windows ISO legally for free. You will need a Windows disc to repair the OS.
You can download the ISO image for Seatools in my signature and burn the image to CD using IMGBurn also in my signature. Or burn it to USB Flash with SeaFlash in my signature. Boot off of the media and run the Short and Long tests on the HDD. If either test fails the HDD needs to be replaced.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.