Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My winxp won't start, it keeps rebooting over and over. It won't go past the winxp logo screen. It won't even go into safe mode.

T

·
0 Posts
Hi mlum :wave:

Keep tapping F8 and choose, Dont restart on system failure. Then it will boot up normally and bive you a BSoD. Put the exact text from that here, on your next post :smile:

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I clicked on, Don't restart on system failure like you said but it reboots and keep got into a loop just like before.

T

·
0 Posts
Keep tapping F1, F2, F4, F6, F8, F10, F11, F12, or the Delete key and enter your BIOS. Look for a PC Health or System monitoring page and report back to me telling me what your temperatures, voltages, and fan speeds are. :smile:

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I tried tapping each one of the keys like you said but it still keeps rebooting into the loop. Once in a great while, it will boot all the way to the desk top but not long enough for me to do anything before it reboots again and go into the loop again.

T

·
0 Posts
Okay, so I'll put this down as some hardware failure. RAM can sometimes be the culprit of these type of issues. Give my friend (justpassingby from the Windows Tech Mentor Team) his props as he was the one who taught me that. One second as I will give you a speech for testing your RAM in a moment.

T

·
0 Posts
Memtest86+ Instructions

It has come to my attention that you might have something physically wrong with your RAM. To check this we will use a program called, Memtest86+. Choose the choice I have put down in the picture below and download it to your desktop.

Once you have downloaded it to your desktop, extract the file from the Zip folder and place the ISO file on your desktop. I would then like you to burn the ISO onto a CD-R, DVD-R, CD+R, or DVD+R using programs such as Nero, or a burning studio software. If you do not have such a program, then you can download and install the free program Active ISO Burner. You can then burn the ISO to the disk with this new program or your old program.

After you have burnt it to a disk you will have to set your BIOS to make you boot up from the CD Drive first. Restart your computer and at the first loading screen keep tapping either the F1, F2, F4, F6, F8, F10, F11, F12, or Delete keys to access the BIOS. If you can not get into the BIOS refer back to system documentation for further help with accessing it. When successfully accessed the BIOS look for something that says Boot Device Priority, or Boot Sequence. Set your CD Drive as first using the arrow keys or + and - keys.

After setting it to first insert your disk and restart the system. Start the test and let it run as it will take approximately one day. If you have more then one stick of RAM then please follow the below instructions:

If You Have More than One Stick of RAM

If you have more than one stick of RAM, then remove all of the sticks except for one and do the test on them individually. This test will be 1 day per stick of RAM so if you have 2 sticks of RAM then the tests will take about two days. Change each stick when each stick test is finished with the other ones that have to be tested. You can remove a RAM stick by pressing down on the 2 clenches at its sides. Here is an example picture:

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
When it does boot to the desk top, I don't have anytime to do anything. Even before I can connect to the internet, it reboots. It may take up to 30 minutes before it boots up to the desk top again.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
My last resort is to reformat. I would like to know if I remove the hard dirve and put it in another computer as the slave, will I be able to open the drive? I would like to save some file to a CD before I reformat.

T

·
0 Posts
Please follow the memtest and follow this speech first. Please do not format as this might now solve anything, please listen to my advice first and do all of the checks for me. Also, memtest you must boot up from it. Please read the WHOLE tutorial before doing anything. Please read this whole tutorial to: (Note: Do this one I am posting (Speedfan) first before doing the Memtest tutorial)

It has come to my attention that you might have a heat or voltage issue with your computer. We can not assume that it is one of these so we will go ahead and check. I would like you to download and install the program Speedfan. When you are done installing Speedfan open and look for 3 columns. One should have temperatures, the other should have voltages, and the last one should contain your fan speeds. When you have found this information please post to me in a column such as this: (Example)

Temperatures

Temp1: 30 C
Temp2: 60 C
HD0: 44 C

Voltages (only for desktops)

5.5V: 5.5
3.33V: 3.24

Fan Speeds

Speed1: 2480 RPM

(Remember this is just an example, please post your exact information)
If you are running on a Dell Laptop please follow these steps then post your temperatures, voltages, and fan speeds:

• Open Speedfan
  • Click Configure on the Main Screen
  • Go to the Options Tab
  • Check the: "Enable DELL Support (use this function only on DELL notebooks)" check box
  • Click Ok then Close Speedfan
  • Start Speedfan once again
Then post your temperatures, voltages, and fan speeds.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I can't get it boot to the desk top and when it does, I don't have enough time to connect to the internet before it reboots again.

T

·
0 Posts
I am seeing that your computer might have a voltage or overheating issue that is preventing from booting normally into Windows. Start up your computer by either tapping the F1, F2, F4, F6, F8, F10, F11, F12, or Delete keys to access the systems BIOS. For the exact information on what key to start up the System BIOS refer back to Original Manufacturer System Documentation.

After getting into the BIOS, look for a page that would have something like, eg. PC Health Screen or System Monitoring Page. When you have found a page similar to this post back what the BIOS says for your temperatures, voltages, and fan speeds.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Okay, I get it now, I download it from another computer, burn the file on a CD, go to the Bios and have it boot from the CD drive. The only problem is that it won't go to the Bios. My owners manuel says hit the F1 key but all it does is reboot.

T

·
0 Posts
Keep tapping the F1 key as soon as it starts up. Sometimes you might have to disable the startup screen since OEM's might disable it with their logo, like Emachines or Gateways..

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I got into the bios screen. There's nothing about temp, fan speed and voltage. I download the Speedfan on another computer, I put it on CD and tried to run it on the computer that won't bootup. I can't get the computer to boot so I can't run the CD.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
My wife fearing that her files, photos and other documents could be lost, wanted me to connect her hard drive to my computer and save her stuff on a CD before I continue to try to get her computer to boot up. I connected her drive as a slave and booted the computer but nothing happened. It just opened to the Emachine logo and didn't do anything. I switch the drives back and my computer booted up normally. Does that mean my wifes hard drive is no good? Is that the reason it keeps rebooting?

T

·
0 Posts
It would of gave us a different error message, if the drive was dieing but access the BIOS on the burnt computer and see if it is seen in there. If it is not then it is probably dead. Put the drive in a enclosure and back it up that way. It is very possible that the EMachines wont take it because it is just not built for that. I will tell you now, Emachines is one of the worst name brands in the world. Not being disrespectful in any way hopefully :grin:

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
What do you mean by "put the drive in an enclosure"? I agree with you about the Emachine. It was a hand me down and I wouldn't buy one myself but it was free. I had it for about 3 years now and it hasn't given me any problems so I guess I'm lucky.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.