Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, here goes my second post ever.

Using YaST, no wlan network card is available from the Suse 10 card selection will permit a wireless connection. I have an HP Pavilion, zd8000. Searching the web led me to conclude that i needed to use ndiswrapper. As a linux newbie, i knew not what i was doing, but eventually downloaded, unzipped it, and even read some of the documentation on the ndiswrapper.sourceforge website.

I believe i'm using kernel 2.6.13 -15 within the /lib/modules/ directory. Also, within the /lib/modules/2.6.13-15-smp directory is a link (/usr/src/linux/2.6.13-15-obj/i386/smp).

On a different linux forum, directions were to execute a 'make uninstall', then 'make'. I did the former until no "removing" messages appear. However, when i execute the latter i get the following (within directory /ndiswrapper-1.32):
make -C driver
make[1]: Entering directroy '/ndiswrapper-1.32/driver'
Cant find kernel build files in /lib/modules/2.6.13-15-smp/build;
give the path to kernel build directory with
KBUILD=<path> argument to make
make[1]: ***[prereq_check] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory ' /ndiswrapper-1.32/driver'
make: *** [all] Error 2

Can someone help?

signed,

clueless in San Antonio:4-dontkno

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I'm ndiswrapper challenged

I guess i should have stated that i'm a linux nu-bee (see, i cant even spell it correctly). Anyway, after much trial and error (several hours of aggravation) and reading the posts to evilamigo's post, i have the following to report:

ndiswrapper -i bcmwl5.inf
forcing parameter IBSSGMode from 0 to 2
forcing parameter IBSSGMode from 0 to 2

ndiswrapper -l
bcmwl5 driver installed

ndiswrapper -m
module configuration already contains alias directive

modprobe ndiswrapper
FATAL could not open '/lib/modules/2.6.13-15-smp/extra/ndiswrapper.ko' : No such file or directory

Can someone tell me how to proceed from here? Thanks!

:4-dontkno

·
TSF Team, Emeritus
3,152 Posts
Hi, check to see if that file is in this directory:
lib/modules/2.6.13-15-smp/misc
If it is, copy and paste it into
lib/modules/2.6.13-15-smp/extra
You should be set to go.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
kbalona,

I did a search...there is no ndiswrapper.ko on my filesystem. I downloaded the ndiswrapper-1.32.tar file from http://sourceforge.net/projects/ndiswrapper.

I had a difficult time trying to find a site to download the bcmwl5.inf file. I finally found ftp://ftp.support.acer-euro.com/notebook/aspire_3000_5000/driver/802bg.zip. The zip file had the .inf file. But when i unzipped the file from /ndiswrapper directory, the extraccted files ended up in my /windows directory. Why?

Where do i go from here to obtain the ndiswrapper.ko file?

Thanks!

·
TSF Team, Emeritus
3,152 Posts
Ok, do you mean you had not previously had the bcmwl5.inf? Anyways, it's not hard to get it, all you need is a Windows driver and you can extract the needed files from there. Also, I believe you need two files, bcmwl5.inf and .sys.
Check out this thread http://www.techsupportforum.com/f64...t-with-fedora-core-6-a-126025.html#post700231
Skip the Fedora stuff like configuring the repository. Maybe it will help you.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
TheMatt, i downloaded ndiswrapper from the sourceforge website when i initially started this effort. I think i've followed the steps advised.

Kbalona, the ftp site i referenced provided the zip file containing both .sys and .inf files. I think i'm good in this area.

The lack of ndiswrapper.ko in the /lib directory is now the challenge, not the .sys and .inf file.

I've read that maybe the ndiswrapper driver kernel module is the problem. Any ideas on how else i can get the ndiswrapper.ko file?

Thanks again all.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
All,

To be honest, i'm just about ready to toss in the towel and remain committed to windows. I've reinstalled Suse, downloaded ndiswrapper-1.33 from sourceforge.net website, copied bcmwl5.inf & .sys files from /windows, and ran ndiswrapper in the following manner.

ndiswrapper - i bcmwl5.inf
installing bcmwl5

ndiswrapper -l
installed ndis drivers:
bcmwl5 driver present

modprobe ndiswrapper

I did an ifconfig and only the lo and eth0 parameters displayed. When i attempt to configure network settings within Yast, my broadcom driver is not present. What am i still not doing corrrectly?

signed,

frustrated as #[email protected]!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Device Manager and my HP Support Center shows my network card as Broadcom 802.11b/g WLAN, with bcmwl5.sys as the driver. Uncertain how else to tell the specific broadcom card i have.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.