Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

My girlfriend recently dropped her sony vaio vgn-ns2 laptop which seems to have knocked both the WLAN and LAN off. The switch at the front doesnt respond which leads me to believe it is knocked out of place or just plain gubbed. It appears in device manager but when i run a diagnostic on it, it appears with there may be a problem with one or more of the network adapters. Tried updating the driver, used the sony app for turning it on software wise but tells me to turn the switch on (again i'm thinking its gubbed)

So i tried inserting an ethernet cable but no response from the port at all. None of the usual lights and doesnt register with the laptop and on the sony app, it doesn't even let me click the LAN box.

Now, is there any other way to at least get the LAN to work as i've tried downloading the driver off of the vaio website but it doesnt have a .exe file install it just has a .sys, .inf and .cat file on it so thats confusing or will i have to rip the laptop apart and replace both the WLAN switch and LAN adapter?

Thanks

·
Registered
TSF Emeritus
20,461 Posts
Hello,

Instead of updating the driver try uninstalling both wireless and intergrated LAN adapters. Have your Driver CD ready to re-install teh Drivers. Here's a guide:
Click on Start, right click My Computer => Properties => hardware tab => Device Manager => find your Network Adapters and expand it. Right click on the Wireless Adapter/Network Adapter and choose uninstall. Choose Uninstall then re-install. Normally your Windows will do a Plug N play auto install for you, but just in case you might have your CD driver ready.

If the above won't work , you may just buy a USB Wireless Network Adapter for $20. The Motherboard might have been damaged. If it's under warranty Sony should be able to replace it FREE of charge.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If the above won't work , you may just buy a USB Wireless Network Adapter for $20. The Motherboard might have been damaged. If it's under warranty Sony should be able to replace it FREE of charge.
Does this go for the ethernet port aswell because everything else is working fine just the WLAN and the ethernet port. I tried completely re-installing the drivers but got nothing on both. I think the wireless is definitely broken without doubt but why the ethernet port aswell? If everything else is working fine including all 4 usb ports, input and output ports, sd card port etc.

Thanks for replying by the way.

·
Registered
TSF Emeritus
20,461 Posts
The USB wireless ethernet adapter has to plug into one of the USB Ports of the Laptops any port should do. Install the necessary driver (CD driver) needed and it should work.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi, thanks for gettin back again,

I meant the motherboard issue with the ethernet port and why everything else is working except both the wireless and ethernet. Stupid question but i've never took a laptop apart before(never taught me in college somehow lol) are the wireless and ethernet plugged into the same part of a laptop motherboard?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.