Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Wireless Speeds with USB1.1 or 2.0

4K views 10 replies 3 participants last post by  johnwill 
#1 ·
I have a Athlon 64 desktop PC with a D-Link KI-624s router plugged into a Westell Modem with Verizon DSL. I have a second PC PIII with USB1.1 and a Airnet USB pen adapter plugged into a USB port on the back of the computer.
One question I guess someone could answer for me.
The computer with the modem and the router says its running at 100Mbps. The PC with the Wireless Airnet USB Pen adapter says it running at 54 Mbps. I'm also getting a message that says it could run faster if I had a USB 2.Port. Is this whats cutting the speed in half. It has 2 jacks on the MB and 2 jacks on a PCI card. I think they are all USB 1.0. Can they be upgraded or do I need to get a newer 2.0 card? This an older PIII PC with a 933Mhz.

Also If I were to hardwire the second computer to the router would this increase the speed?:4-dontkno
Thanx!

Discussion starter · #3 ·
Thnx for the reply
I guess Ill get a cable so I can try and hard wire the second computer. Im just trying to learn by posting these questions. The second computer is just an experimental setup. So if I had a USB 2.0 card would I be able to come close to the 100.0 Mbps speed Im getting on the main PC with the modem and the router? Ive been doing some reading and found that the 802.11g version may only go 54Mbps max. So thats why Im wondering if the USB 2.0 would really do anything.:4-dontkno

Discussion starter · #6 ·
Wow

So why is my second PC (the wireless one with the USB pen adapter) telling me I have a 54Mbps connection and my main PC is hooked up at 100 Mbps.
This whole thing is very confusing. You guys are teling me one thing and the PC's are saying something else. Somethin is not right here. NOW Im really lost.:4-dontkno :4-dontkno :4-dontkno :4-dontkno :eek: :eek: :eek:

Discussion starter · #8 ·
Still not clear

You say that USb 1.1 has max capability of 12mbit. As I stated earlier, My computer with the usb pen adapter is telling me Im connected at 54mbit.
So if the computer is lying than how do I really know what my connection speed is?:4-dontkno

Discussion starter · #10 ·
Ok now Im starting to get this.
Im getting a cable tomorrow so I can do a direct hardwire connection.
Can you describe to me in easy to understand terms, how you do a speed test with each for an accurate comparison.
1. with the USB pen adapter
2. with the dirrect hardwire connection.
Thanx for this help I really appreciate it.
:smile:

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.