Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Similar problem with router

I thought I should post on this existing thread as my problem is very similar.

I recently bought a wireless notebook and a wireless router so that I can connect the notebook to my desktop computer from other areas of the house. It is a Linksys WRT54GS. The configuration looked so easy but at the end of it, it says it cannot detect internet connection. I tried resetting my modem etc. but even though I have the Local Area Connection icon on my taskbar which says I am connected, I cannot get to any browser. So I am on but not on!

I have a LAN broadband connection with DHCP enabled, IP to be obtained automatically. I firstly just picked the DHCP option on the router configuration panel and then tried the Static IP but neither worked. Each time I get the same message that the router cannot detect internet connection. Each time I try, I reset the router.

I printed out the manual and it says to access the routers IP address at 192.168.1.1 but I get a message that it does not exist, so can get no help there.

Please advise.

·
Citizen of the world
51,042 Posts
You were wrong, you should not post to an existing thread to start a new problem. :smile:

Reset the router to factory defaults as a start. If this is a standard cable broadband account, it should connect to wired computers that way. Also, what exact kind of connection is this, cable, DSL, what? Do you have a name/password that you need to connect?

BTW, if you didn't power cycle the modem after connecting the router, that's probably the first issue you need to address. :smile:

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Linksys router problem

Whoops! Sorry I posted in the wrong place.

a) "Power cycle"? I am a novice and do not understand that term. Do you mean turn off everything and reboot? If so, I did that. Even before I tried to install the router I have to do that sometimes anyway to reset the modem. Again, as I said below, I would get the icon on the taskbar saying I am connected but cannot access anything.
b) I have reset the router each time I failed to configure it.
c)I have a LAN connection, no password or ID to get in. All the time I thought I had a DSL connection but in "Network Connections" in my control panel the icon is LAN or high speed internet.

Any advice would be much appreciated!

·
Citizen of the world
51,042 Posts
Reset and "factory reset" are two different things.

Are you sure you're using the correct cable to connect? If you have a broadband connection that requires no password, the factory default configuration of the router should get you connected.

It would be nice if you'd be specific as to what you have, what make/model of modem for instance.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So how do I do a factory reset? I have been pressing the reset button for 10 seconds each time I tried to configure. What else should I do to reset it to factory conditions?

Does this help? I am not sure what I should blank out for security reasons...I know some of the numbers are default, but which?? I told you I am a novice at this!

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
(C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\Documents and Settings\Owner>ipconfig/all

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : your-xh********
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Realtek RTL8139/810x Family Fast Eth
ernet NIC
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-***********
Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192********
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.*******
DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.********
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 20*******
Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Sunday, September 04, 2005 8:01:36 P
M
Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Sunday, September 04, 2005 9:01:36 P
M

C:\Documents and Settings\Owner>

·
Registered
262 Posts
Hey my friend, I know what your going thru, I'm still dealing with a new router I just got

I don't know all that much, but let me at least say this.

Start from the beginning everytime you get stuck, that means like what Johnwill said to do which was reset the router, this puts it back to the starting line incase you programed it with a wrong specification. Mine is an external so it has a little hole to stick a wire thru it that hits a switch.

Then go thru the settings and find out what each one does so you know your doing it right as you click thru the screens, this is what I had to finally end up doing, I'm still having problems to iron out.

then if you get to a setting where you need a spec or a number you don't know call your SBC company and ask, or even the router company if you just bought it.

sorry I was not able to help much, but at least you know that you need to keep reseting the router when "reprograming" again, good luck.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Joeeye, I have done the hard reset, followed instructions and still no luck...hopefully I will get a technician to come in and do it. I will be most annoyed if it is something simple! I have surfed the web and seem to see alot of people who appear to be connected tothe internet but cannot surf, so they have the same problem as I do. Misery loves company!!

·
Registered
262 Posts
Yes, I know what you mean alihamilton.

I'm still messing with this router I just bought, I can turn my PC on and off all day long and its okay, but when its down for the night and then turned on the next morning it don't go on line, no way I can get back on the internet, I have to redo the whole set up procedure again, thats why I mentioned that to you.

Then its okay for the whole day. I don't know what to do any more, do I return it? I just might get another bad router since I feel that these cheap sales are cheap for a reason.

Post back what you end up finding the problem, I like to learn about what you found for when my day comes to do a laptop :laugh:

Good luck! Joe

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hopefully router sorted!

I hope it is not too early to rejoice but I seem to have sorted the problem. The Linksys router is in fact easy to install....the problem stemmed from the fact that my DSL modem was set up as a LAN connection instead of DSL I called my IP first thing this morning and they walked me through the conversion and the router configured with no problem. Just hope I get no more problems!

Many thanks for your support and help.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.