Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,

I live with my aunt and she just bought this new laptop and Lynksys wireless router. Ever since the wirless router's been hooked up, I keep getting disconnected. It happens everyday. The only way to fix it is to either restart the computer or pull the plug on the wirless router, and plug it back in again.

What do you think I can do to fix this? :normal:

·
Citizen of the world
51,139 Posts
Do you have any wireless phones? How about a microwave oven? They can interfere with wireless communications.

You may also need to check if there is updated firmware for the router.

What it the make/model of the router, the broadband modem, and the version/patch level of Windows in use?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wow, it is very unsettling to know that my phone or my microwave could screw up my internet connection!

The router is a Wireless G, and it's model number is WRT54G ver.6.

My modem is a Terayon, TJ715X.

I'm not sure what you mean by the last thing. I have Windows XP. o.o

·
Alternative Computing, Moderator
2,754 Posts
You may also want to check if any other wireless networks are in use. Use the wireless icon on your system tray and scan for available wireless networks. Wireless is booming now and it may be a neighbours router causing interference to yours. In such cases it may be necessary to enter your router config and manually assign a different wireless channel, there are 13 channels, dont use channel 9, this is a common frequency for microwave ovens (as has already been suggested). If this happens at a certain time of day, it may well be someone coming home, switching on their router and causing yours to lose signal.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.