Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Am trying to set up file sharing and access between two computers, one of which is xp and the other using windows 7. I know the wireless works of the xp machine for I previously had it working with a wireless printer. I have done the home office set up for ad hoc computer to computer on both machines but when I go to view the network, I'm not finding it. Probably doing something stupid but would appreciate some help.

Thanks

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes. Was working fine on a network at a previous office but we had wireless highspeed service and 4 computers and a router. Just want to do simple peer to peer here.

·
Global Moderator
Using Google to solve problems
43,121 Posts
Do you have a wireless router? You need to have a wireless router hooked up to your Modem to access wireless internet, unless you are stealing your neighbors. How is the Windows 7 computer getting internet?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Both machines are working off usb highspeed sticks. The absense of a wireless router is obviously causing my problem although as I recall, it is possible to connect the two machines by a usb cable and set up peer to peer that way. This would work fine for me even though it's a bit of an antiquated way to go about things but again, not sure on the software set up or if my recollection is correct. Thanks.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Bought a wireless Linksys E1000 router with a view solving this problem but there is a jack for internet and it won't install without it being hooked up to the internet. Is there ANYTHING I can buy so I can make the Windows 7 and xp computers communicate with each? This driving me nuts!

·
TSF - Enthusiast
1,835 Posts
You can set it up manually without an Internet connection, you just can't use the automatic configuration. I have fixed too many problems when the auto config was used to suggest using it anyway.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.