Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i need a wireless network card for my PC. i have windows XP. my friends have a wireless dsl next door so i need card that will allow me to search for active connections so i could use there dsl. i wanted to what the name of the card i need to buy and if i have to install anyhting. thats all thx once again!:rolleyes:

·
Citizen of the world
51,041 Posts
The cheapest solution will probably be a USB wireless client, I've purchased several on rebate deals for $10 or so. Visit Pricewatch and search on "usb wireless network", prices appear to start at around $16. I'd pick a brand name like SMC, D-Link, Linksys, Netgear, etc. www.Justdeals.com has a Netgear for $30.90 including shipping on the second page of the search.

·
ID10T Circuit replacement
1,038 Posts
For good range, You should buy an Orinoco pci to pcmcia adapter and an Orinoco wireless pcmcia card. You can put external antennas on these cards. You can use a plain range extender or even get an outdoor antenna.

Go to www.proxim.com to find more info out.

·
Citizen of the world
51,041 Posts
Actually, you can put external antennas on many of the units, I know several of the D-Link ones have antenna connections with standard connectors.

Buying two devices seems to be a bit extreme when you can solve the problem with less hardware. :)

·
ID10T Circuit replacement
1,038 Posts
Thanks Johnwill. I don't research much wireless anymore than what I suggested.

I suggested proxim mainly because I am part owner in a completely wireless ISP, and have had less technical calls using these. (Original setup of the ISP, orinico was the only ones(pcmcia) that had an external antenna capability at that time.)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.