Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi i have a netgear DG834GT router set to broadcast both B and G signals
i can pick up the G signal strongly with my computer two floors up from the router but i get a very slow connectivity to the internet if i swap my G receiver to a B receiver i can pick up the internet fine. i have tried with a few different G adapters and have the same problem but other devices closer to the router can pick up internet on G

any help in to this confusing situation would be very much appreciated

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
Lots of variables here.

Check and update your routers firmware.

What type of wireless card are you using for your computer?

Check and update the driver for the wireless card as well.

If B works faster, then I would run with that.

G has the potential to operate faster, however, it also has a more complex modulation scheme and it drops the transfer rate as the signal degrades. So the further you get from the router, the more the transfer rate will decrease. This is also true for B, but it does behave a bit differently.

You may also try a different channel to see what happens.

JamesO

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
sorry to bring up a old post but previously i just gave up and used my B adapter and mainly use the wired net work at uni.

i have now returned home temporarily and found that my brother has taken my b adapter. i have tried a few things i've changed the wireless channel from 11 to 1 which improved my connection but when i connected the B computers my connection started going slow again. the up stream seem to be running normal just the downstream is going slow.

the laptop which is G connects to the internet normally as long it is plugged into the mains

i also changed the wireless mode to auto which which seem to choose a channel for you and allows the supposedly 108mbs connection speed with 2x the range but the netgear adapter can't even find the network which leaves me just using standard G which is slow.

·
Citizen of the world
51,139 Posts
When you have an 802.11b device connected, the whole wireless network is paced by that device. Since 802.11b/g is half-duplex and also shared bandwidth, only one device can be sending/receiving a packet at one time. The slower 802.11b device sends and receives at about 1/5 the speed of 802.11g devices and consumes far more of the available bandwidth.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.