Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am currently using a WinXP SP2 with a Linksys Wireless-G PCI Adapter. The drivers are installed and I am able to see and connect to my network, but I always get thrown a "Limited Connectivity" error. When I try to enter the IP to my router (192.168.1.1) I am unable to connect to it. It's strange because it recognizes and tries to connect to my network but it cannot connect to the internet. I have tried manually connecting to my computer though the router but the router cannot find my computer. The router is set up for DHCP and the XP is set for the same. I have tried reformatting the computer and reinstalling the drivers and still run into the same issue. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Open up a command prompt (Start > run > cmd)
Type the following bolded commands and post the results for each affected machine.

ipconfig /all
Windows IP Configuration

Host Name: Desktop
Primary Dns Suffix:
Node Type; Unknown
IP Routing Enabled: No
WINS Proxy Enabled: No

(I don't use Ethernet so I shall skip it and go to the Wireless)

Ethernet adapter Wireless Network Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix:
Description: Linksys Wireless-G PCI Adapter
Physical Address: 00-**-**-**-**-**
Dhcp Enabled: Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled: Yes
Autoconfiguration IP Address: 169.254.159.123
Subnet Mask: 255.255.0.0
Default Gateway:

Now I have tried using a regular Static IP Address (192.168.1.15 255.255.255.0 192.168.1.1) but I still cannot connect. My router's IP is 192.168.1.1 and I can connect with my Vista based laptop but not my desktop that is upstairs. I can see and connect to the network... but I cannot enter in the IP of my router and get in... the connection times out... it gives me a limited or no connectivity error (seeing that the router attempts to give me an IP address, and a weird one at that). If anymore information is needed please let me know (I hid my MAC address for security reasons, but it's there and it's correct).:smile:

EDIT: I just tried resetting my router but to no avail.

·
Registered
11 Posts
have you been able to connect to other wireless networks with this wireless Card? As well are you able to connect via ethernet with your XP machine to your router? does that works?

·
Windows Tech Team, Networking Team
2,259 Posts
Have you tried powering down your Actiontec for a bout 1 minute then power it back up.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The ethernet connection work (aka if I plug it directly into the router it works), but I am on the third floor in an old house with no easy way of getting a cord up there... so I'm stuck with wireless.. and yes I have powered down the actiontec.... I have reset it to defaults... etc... its not the router...

·
Global Moderator
Electronic Design
52,021 Posts
Please supply the following info, exact make and models of the equipment please.

Name of your ISP (Internet Service Provider).
Make and exact model of the broadband modem.
Make and exact model and hardware version of the router (if a separate unit).
Model numbers can usually be obtained from the label on the device.
Connection type, wired or wireless.
If wireless, encryption used, (none, WEP, WPA, or WPA2)
Version and patch level of Windows on all affected machines, i.e. XP (Home or Pro), SP1-SP2-SP3, Vista (Home, Business, Ultimate), etc.
The Internet Browser in use, IE, Firefox, Opera, etc.

Please give an exact description of your problem symptoms, including the exact text of any error messages.

• If you're using a wireless connection, have you tried a direct connection with a cable to see if that changes the symptoms?
  • For wireless issues, have you disabled all encryption on the router to see if you can connect that way?
  • Have you connected directly to the broadband modem to see if this is a router or modem/ISP issue?
  • If there are other computers on the same network, are they experiencing the same issue, or do they function normally?

On any affected computer, I'd also like to see this:

Hold the Windows key and press R, then type CMD (COMMAND for W98/WME) to open a command prompt:

Type the following commands on separate lines, following each one with the Enter key:

PING 206.190.60.37

PING yahoo.com

NBTSTAT -n

IPCONFIG /ALL

Right click in the command window and choose Select All, then hit Enter.
Paste the results in a message here.

If you are on a machine with no network connection, use a floppy, USB disk, or a CD-RW disk to transfer a text file with the information to allow pasting it here.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.