Tech Support banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found 2 different network "booster" for sale but want to know which is better for what i am using it for. I have a wireless home network set up with a Belkin F5D7231-4 in the middle of my house. It runs off a split line with a broadband drop amp in line. My roomate lives in the bedroom next to the router and gets great reception on his laptop in most aprts of the house. My office is on the other end of the house, which is thru the kitchen and a brick wall. My desktop is a custom built Amd 3200 system with a Linksys Wireless pci adapter with speedboost. It is under my desk, with the antenna on the back of the computer, where it only gets a low signal and drifts up and down in speed. The 2 network boosting devices i found are both Linksys. One is a range expander, model WRE54G and the other is a wireless signal booster model WSB24. Which of these is gonna give me the most help in my computers network speed and signal.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well i can get either of these for $20 so price is not an issue. I am trying to figure out which will improve my signal ad help keep me from getting such an erratic speed

·
Citizen of the world
51,139 Posts
The separate "boosters" introduce a whole layer of configuration and complexity into the network. Also, since they operate on a "store and forward" principle, they also reduce the network performance.

You'll be much better off boosting the signal and eliminating the middleman.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.