Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I recently installed hardware for a wireless internet connection on my desktop PC running windows xp. I am sharing a household mac wireless network using "airport" with 2 laptops and 2 desktops. I have connected to the internet, have no trouble getting an IP address, and have a "very good" connection with 3 bars (15 feet from an airport). However, I am having the following problems:

-Even when I have a confirmed connection (icon at bottom), I sometimes cannot connect to the internet. I will open an "offline" webpage and when I want to navigate to a site, the computer will try and go to dial-up after asking if I want to connect.

-EVERYTHING on my computer is now very slow. Browsing almost at dialup speeds for internet, other applications slow to load, screen freezing, etc. Reason?

-It seems the "Local Area Connection" is not working according to icon
at bottom ("a cable unplugged"). Does this even matter?

Here is what I've tried with some sporadic improvement:
I went into Internet Options and made sure I (1) automatically selected LAN settings and (2) defaulted to a broadband connection. I also went to the Control Panel and set up the "Internet connection wizard." Finally, I will try and "Configure" the wireless hardware to make it work.

Any help is appreciated!
Thanks.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've installed a "wireless G" desktop Adapter: D-link, G54, AirPlus G. It came with an installation CD for new hardware and I'm assuming that using it set up any drivers I needed.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.