Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I bought a Netgear Wireless N router (DGN2000) and Belkin N1+MIMO Notebook Card.

The router works perfectly. The card seems to be the problem, my laptop is in the room next door to the router yet I barely recieve any signal - normally "Low" or "Very Low" according to windows.

The install went well, I phoned Belkin who just took me through a re-install. Surely...surely ANY n-standard adapter can't be THIS bad.

My xbox is in the same room and it connects at full signal, my iphone can connect at near full signal even when I'm out in the street!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I downloaded an update file from Belkin - didn't do anything unfortunately.

Had a look at that link - very useful information in there, wish I had read it before I bought the router and adapter!
Point 9 is interesting...perhaps because I have a Belkin Adapter and Netgear Router they don't work well together.

Current signal strength = Very Low.

It's incredible since my old G-router and card worked at near full signal yet my N-router and card barely hit Good.

·
Registered
TSF Emeritus
20,461 Posts
I downloaded an update file from Belkin - didn't do anything unfortunately.

Had a look at that link - very useful information in there, wish I had read it before I bought the router and adapter!
Point 9 is interesting...perhaps because I have a Belkin Adapter and Netgear Router they don't work well together.

Current signal strength = Very Low.

It's incredible since my old G-router and card worked at near full signal yet my N-router and card barely hit Good.
Yes the link that I gave you is very helpful, no problem, that's why we are here to help. Please keep me posted and you're quite welcome!

·
Registered
TSF Emeritus
20,461 Posts
What happens if you plug your laptop directly to the router or the modem? Are able to get a very good connection?
From your wireless connection, pls. test your connection by using speedtest and post the results here=> http://www.speedtest.net/

Have you tried these commands: ipconfig /release and renew
Click on Start, on run type the word cmd, from the black screen type the word ipconfig /release press enter, then type ipconfig /renew and press enter, then try accessing the internet.

Changing the Channel of your router might help, by default is is set to 6, try changing it to 5 or 7 and see you can get a decent connection.

Here's another helpful link on how to boost your router's signal => http://compnetworking.about.com/od/wirelessfaqs/f/extendwifirange.htm

Pls. give me an update.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi. Finally got round to doing all those suggestions -

Speed Test

Ping - 60ms
Download - 1.12Mb/s
Upload - 0.91Mb/s
ISP - Be Unlimited

I tried various router channels but all of them resulted in weak signal. Also I read that website before but the router is placed in a good position high up and the antennas are pointing towards my laptop which is in the room next door but still no change.

I have the Netgear N300 router - two antennas. Currently I'm using my old Belkin G+ card. Currently my Belkin signal is Good/Very Good.

To be honest there probably isn't any point using the N1 card since the old Belkin card works fine but I would like to have the range that N can provide.

·
Registered
TSF Emeritus
20,461 Posts
Let's try something else. If it works, you don't have to proceed to the next steps. Just keep on going if it still doesn't work.

Your speed test doesn't look very good.
1.) Reset TCP/IP http://support.microsoft.com/kb/299357
and do a Repair and Reset of Winsock
a.Click on Start button.
b.Type Cmd in the Start Search text box.
c. Press Ctrl-Shift-Enter keyboard shortcut to run Command Prompt as Administrator. Allow elevation request.
d.Type netsh winsock reset in the Command Prompt shell, and then press the Enter key.
e.Restart the computer.

2.) Updating or uninstalling your ethernet adapter may help. Here's a guide:Click on Start, right click My Computer => Properties => hardware tab => Device Manager => find your Network Adapters right click on the Ethernet Adapter (it might have a !)and choose Update Driver. If you have an ethernet driver CD for your Wireless adapter have it ready, this will be the last suggestion, choose Uninstall then re-install. Normally your Windows will do a Plug N play auto install for you, but just in case you might have your CD driver ready. If you do not have the Driver CD, you may google the driver.

and MORE to try:
Remove all the stored wireless network profiles and try to connect. Make SURE you use the correct encryption key. Test your connection.

Change the Channel of your router to a 1, 7 or 11, by default it set to 5.

Do a Malware/spyware scan, it won't hurt to give it a try: http://download.cnet.com/Malwarebyte...=dl&tag=button

Please give me an update.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.