Friend of mine has an HP Laptop with the following specs:

Model: HP Pavilion dv9225us
AMD Turion 64 X2 Mobile Technology TL-60 2.00GHz processor
2GB RAM
Windows Vista Ultimate 64bit SP1

According to Device Manager, the following network adapters are installed:

- Juniper Network Connect Virtual Adapter
- NVidia nForce Networking Controller
(I upgraded the driver via Windows from original Microsoft generic (2006) to NVidia V65.7.4.0 5/3/2007

At the other end of the network is a Linksys/Cisco model WRT150N Router whose firmware I updated to Version 1.01.9

So here's the problem. Friend goes away for a few days and takes laptop with him. At destination, hooks up to a wired network and works from there.
Returns home and wireless no longer active. Constant orange light on wireless connection light.

Tried moving the switch back and forth a few times, checked to ensure that physical hardware had not been jolted out of its socket. So I upgraded drivers and suddenly "blue light" on and I could see all the routers in the neighborhood as before. After 20 minutes or so, back to orange light and lost connection(s). Tried all kinds of reboots and resets without success. Over the past week or so, the "blue light" has come on a couple more times then died just as quickly.

Other info...... no new software has been installed since new Norton AV 2009 back in February which replaced Kaspersky AV. Everything worked fine until about two weeks ago. Hard wire to Linksys router works fine.

One other thing I tried was to install an AT&T USB 3G adapter. This worked fine on the 3G network, but also would not find any local wireless networks.

I have never before seen or heard of an NVidia network controller. In fact the HP support site for this model provides drivers for a Broadcom Wireless LAN only. Their NVidia nForce chipset driver update only fixes display and compatibility issues that may occur when resuming from Suspend or Hibernation mode.

So, I'm at a total loss now. My first guess is some or other Vista problem. Any help from anyone would be greatly appreciated. If more info is required please advise.

Thanks.

·
Global Moderator
Electronic Design
52,208 Posts
Take the battery out, flip the laptop over, and open the access door over the wireless card. Make sure the card is fully seated in the socket.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks John. I had already checked this as shown in my original message although perhaps not as clearly as I should have where I stated "checked to ensure that physical hardware had not been jolted out of its socket."

Anyway, the strangest thing is that suddenly the blue light came on and the connection was reestablished. So far it has held for almost two days now. The machine has not been moved, or in any other way altered......!?!?

Go figure. I am at a total loss. My gut still tells me that it's Vista, but I cannot prove it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.