Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys...

well I turned on my computer this morning and my wireless cannot find ANY signals and it says "no network connections".... my brothers can use the internet fine, but I can't get anything, and I've tried repairing, disabling, resetting the router, taking the power out of the router and putting it back in...

I was thinking of reinstalling the wireless drivers... I downloaded the drivers, but i have no idea what the hell to do with it, or how to install it or whatever....

Any Ideas??

Thanks!

·
Banned
3,542 Posts
Hi, riz72.

I'm thinking your problem may lie within your DNS, so..

"Start" | "Run..." | Type "CMD" into the dialog box | You should now see a black window with a blinking cursor, this is what we want.
Now type in "ipconfig /flushdns" then "ipconfig /release" then "ipconfig /renew" | Now, finally enter "exit" or just close the black window.

Did this work?

·
Banned
3,542 Posts
Hmm, you said it's worked before, right? - This would rule out drivers.

Have you tried physically taking your wireless adapter and trying to install it on another PC or maybe asking your brother to check his firewall and see if it's blocking your connection.

PS.
I almost wrote "..asking your brother to check his/her firewall.." LOL

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
nope that's not it... i used it just yesterday, really its not the drivers? so uninstalling them and reinstalling them won't do anything?

I have a laptop, so can't take out the wireless adapter, it's not even one of the ones that have a button toggle... its' automatically and always enabled i guess.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i downloaded the drivers last night... no idea what the hell to do with them... they are like 3 files, one is a system file which I put in the Windows/system or whatever folder, and replaced the old one and that didn't do anything.

It's so weird now... just now my computer completely faded out... like it was almost all black but I could still see the stuff that was on the screen :S but I couldn't move anything so I had to restart it.

Also, the startup seems different... like the log in screen is not the same one as before...before it was all blue and i clicked my account, this one has like a small square/rectangle in the middle of the screen (old style?).

I'm running virus scan using AVG and SUPERantispyware.... they haven't found anything yet though!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yes I am....

the faded screen happeend again so I put on hibernate and when the hibernate screen was there it was fine.. turned it back on, same problem.. .hibernate again, and then I turned it back on and it was fine :S...

weird.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So I just tried the re-installing the drivers.. no luck... someone suggested that my wireless card is done, and perhaps so is my motherboard (or at least on its way out).

·
Registered
2,973 Posts
Go into device manager (alternate click on my computer > manage > device manager in the left column)

Are there any "!", "?", or "X" in the list.
Check and make sure that the card is on, there should be a switch on the outside that will turn it on/off. Also, there should also be a light on the case when the wireless card it is on. Check that as well.

·
Registered
291 Posts
I just dealt with a laptop that had this same issue. the card went bad inside the laptop. this was made by hp. I guess they had some problems with there wireless cards built in there laptops in a few of there models would go out around a year.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Go into device manager (alternate click on my computer > manage > device manager in the left column)

Are there any "!", "?", or "X" in the list.
Check and make sure that the card is on, there should be a switch on the outside that will turn it on/off. Also, there should also be a light on the case when the wireless card it is on. Check that as well.
My computer doesn't have a switch, it's a laptop and the card is always on I guess.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
it's a gateway.. i think mx3410.... i have bigger problems now.. the screen refuses to get any light, it's nearly pitch black (although i can still barely see).

good that I found out that I got the extended warranty, and I'm going to take it on Wednesday.. they need to fix the screen, wireless card, and the DVD drive plus anything else :)

Thanks for the help though guys!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.