Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi! This is my first post, I typically DO NOT post on these types of websites as I generally can find all kinds of information for myself; however, this one has me beat. Where to start - I currently own 5 computers 3 wired and 2 wireless. The 3 wired have excellent conncection speeds and ping responce times. The other 2 are my issues. First, let's get the specs out of the way:

Router: Linksys WRT150N with Firmware v1.01.9 (i.e. up to date)
Wireless settings: Wireless-G only.
Standard Channel: 6 - 2.437ghz
Security Mode: WEP
TX KEY 1

Desktop Wireless: Linksys Wireless-G PCI Network Adaptor with SpeedBooster.
Network IP/TCP configure: Use following IP 192.168.1.101
SUBNET 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway 192.168.1.1
DNS servers set to 68.105.28.11 AND 68.105.29.11

Laptop Wireless: Linksys Wireless-G Notebook Adapter 2.4 GHz Model No. WPC54G v. 3
Network IP/TCP configure: Obtain automatically.

A sample of a ping -t on the Desktop:

Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Reply from 64.233.161.104: bytes=32 time=164ms TTL=247
Reply from 64.233.161.104: bytes=32 time=20ms TTL=247
Reply from 64.233.161.104: bytes=32 time=30ms TTL=247
Reply from 64.233.161.104: bytes=32 time=13ms TTL=247
Reply from 64.233.161.104: bytes=32 time=24ms TTL=247
Reply from 64.233.161.104: bytes=32 time=32ms TTL=247
Request timed out.
Reply from 64.233.161.104: bytes=32 time=36ms TTL=247
Reply from 64.233.161.104: bytes=32 time=28ms TTL=247
Reply from 64.233.161.104: bytes=32 time=27ms TTL=247
Reply from 64.233.161.104: bytes=32 time=172ms TTL=247
Reply from 64.233.161.104: bytes=32 time=82ms TTL=247
(total of a 3% loss)

It only get's worse with the laptop with 8% loss.

What this is getting me: When I stream media from a wired PC to a wireless the media 'buffers' (no other word for it), until you either give up trying to watch OR the media player closes reporting that the destination file is no longer available.

I have gone over the settings, made sure both were set to channel 6, I've changed the channels from 1, 10, to 6 also changing the PC's channels, I've checked for Crosstalk, RTS and Fragmentation Thresholds, I've set the Desktop and Laptop to the Routers DHCP table, released them one at a time, I've tried setting the IP's manually hoping that a static IP would resolve any issues. I've tried everything my little mind can think of and I just can't get it. What's odd is that if I mess around long enough it tends to work for about a week and then goes on the fritz again.

I have tons of home movies of our kids and would love to watch them on the tv downstairs.... but this is getting to be a bit much. I've almost achieved a Networking degree at this point from having done so much research and problem solving on my own. Linksys answer is the same as it was for the last router (which to my own admitance was OLD), just get a new one.

What boones it for me to keep getting new routers when the darn things aren't working. I have NO high energy outputs, the baby's monitor is 900Mhz...... Am I over thinking this? Am I not thinking about this clearly? HELP!! Someone!!!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Ohh in case anyone was wondering, the signal strength on both pcs are as follows:

Desktop: Low
Laptop: Very Good/Excellent

The irony here is it is the Laptop with the most dropped ping replys and the highest ping responce time.....

·
Registered
25 Posts
I'm wondering if you're expecting a bit too much from wireless when it comes to media streaming. Speed drops quite a lot when the wireless computers are futher away, like downstairs. I live in a double-brick home and two stories are separated by a concrete floor. As such, wireless has no chance of working...unless I get into wireless bridges. As such, I've gone Gigabit wired. All computers work great, wired. Yes, it was a pain to walk around with a glue gun to stick all the wires but when done, it's well worth it. I now have eight computers, all wired.

My experience with a Linksys wireless router was when I connected a wireless video camera. And the video streaming was pretty poor. It's not because it's Linksys...just the wireless technology.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for responding!! I was starting to worry. ^_^ Ok, here's the thing, I do live in a two story house, and you are possibly correct in the aspect of the computers being to far apart, I will look into wireless bridges and see what I can come up with. Wondering if there a wireless repeater?? Might be cheaper? Anyway, my house is fiber board and wood, I can see how concrete would play a part, but wood? Why does it work 'sometimes'?

I will look into what you've said and see what I can come up with. Thinking of moving the laptop upstairs for a while and seeing if it is a proximity issue. On the flip side I have pies to make! Happy Thanksgiving people :D

·
Citizen of the world
51,041 Posts
I'm not really a fan of wireless repeaters. I prefer increasing the signal strength at the source or the destination. Also, the following products are only representative of what's available, other makes have similar products.

Hawking Tech has a number of products that will help you increase your wireless range. The root page is Hawking Hi-Gain™ WiFi Range Extending Products.

Some of the more interesting products are this Hawking [HSB2] Hi-Gain WiFi Signal Booster, which can be used on either end of a wireless connection to boost the signal power.

Another way to increase your signal strength is by the use of hi-gain antennas. You can choose from omni-directional or directional models, here are a some examples.

Hawking [HAI7SIP] Hi-Gain 7dBi Omni-Directional Antenna

Hawking [HAI15SC] Hi-Gain 15dBi Corner Antenna

[HAO14SD] Outdoor Hi-Gain 14dBi Directional Antenna Kit

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm back with the results! I took the laptop upstairs reset the wireless card to make sure I had a clean connection. Signal strength was excellent and I had lots of hope that maybe it was a proximity issue. Well, it's not. Here's a sample of the ping.txt (ping -t www.google.com > c:\ping.txt)

Pinging www.l.google.com [64.233.161.147] with 32 bytes of data:
Reply from 64.233.161.147: bytes=32 time=43ms TTL=247
Request timed out.
Reply from 64.233.161.147: bytes=32 time=56ms TTL=247
Request timed out.
Reply from 64.233.161.147: bytes=32 time=55ms TTL=247
Reply from 64.233.161.147: bytes=32 time=57ms TTL=247
Reply from 64.233.161.147: bytes=32 time=103ms TTL=247
Reply from 64.233.161.147: bytes=32 time=36ms TTL=247
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Reply from 64.233.161.147: bytes=32 time=29ms TTL=247
Reply from 64.233.161.147: bytes=32 time=66ms TTL=247
Reply from 64.233.161.147: bytes=32 time=168ms TTL=247
Request timed out.
Request timed out.

Again with the (8% loss), and this with the Laptop about 3 feet from the router in line of site, etc. I tried to load up a video and believe it or not, the buffering issue was actually worse!!! See! I have a mystery on my hands. If anyone has any new suggestions please feel free. It's not a signal issue or a proximity issue. I was kind of hoping it was that way it wouldn't be my fault.. LOL If my Networking and Security Management professors knew of this they'd laugh at me! But I'm down right tempted to bring it to them.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Ok here we go. Not at all sure what you're looking for. I took a pic of the results and removed my personal information. :1angel:

Hope this helps in some way.

Attachments

·
Citizen of the world
51,041 Posts
If you use their link, it conveniently removes your information.

Was that line quality test run on the problem laptop?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It was run on the problem Desktop, I can run it on all the machines... if it will help give a contast.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Now here is the print out for my Host pc.. it's actually MY computer, the work horse, if you will. I've never had a problem with this pc, it's wired and the ping tests that I've preformed have never come back with an issue, I bring this all up because... well... see for yourself. BTW John, thanks for all your help and tests, I am using DSLreport's link but I'm still having to edit the pictures as it gives my IP in 3 spots and the city I live in in the Host routes... so...

Attachments

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
LOL Well arn't I an idiot.. just deleted the darn test.. it's not that different from MY computer's. I can do it again.. but any thoughts yet?

·
Citizen of the world
51,041 Posts
Well, your connections looks lousy! If the wired connections also look that way, it's just a lousy ISP connection. That may or may not have a bearing on the wireless issues.

If you do a speed test on a wired connection, then another on a wireless connection, what do you get?

A couple of popular Internet speed test sites in the US.

Speakeasy Speed Test

DSLReports Speed Test

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I ran the speed test on all 4 pc's, the 5th is a modded xbox.. here's the outcome.

Speed test from Wired One Computer. (MY computer)
Download Speed: 27711 kbps (3463.9 KB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 2030 kbps (253.8 KB/sec transfer rate)

Speed test from Wired Two Conmputer. (The Wifes)
Download Speed: 18026 kbps (2253.3 KB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 2089 kbps (261.1 KB/sec transfer rate)

Speed Test from Wireless Desktop Computer
Download Speed: 1106 kbps (138.3 KB/sec transfer rate)
*note here that it took about 5 minutes to do this test and that the average speed was about 730kbps*
Upload Speed: 11 kbps (1.4 KB/sec transfer rate)

Speed Test from Wireless Laptop
Download Speed: 917 kbps (114.6 KB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 760 kbps (95 KB/sec transfer rate)
*Note here too that the test went by quickly and the signal strength is actually BETTER than the desktops.*

Happy Thanksgiving's Day BTW!!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well I'll be a monkey's uncle.. ok here's the thing, I reset the router just for s'n'gs... figured all I have to loose is all my settings which don't seem to be helping anyway.. so here's the speed test on the Wireless desktop after everything has been reset to their original configurations:
Download Speed: 10222 kbps (1277.8 KB/sec transfer rate)
Download Speed: 1106 kbps (138.3 KB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 2166 kbps (270.8 KB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 11 kbps (1.4 KB/sec transfer rate)

Boy I'd say that's a marked difference. Ping tests show

Ping statistics for 64.233.161.103:
Packets: Sent = 64, Received = 64, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 12ms, Maximum = 37ms, Average = 14ms

Going to run a speed test on the laptop now and see what I get..
Download Speed: 11136 kbps (1392 KB/sec transfer rate)
Download Speed: 917 kbps (114.6 KB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 2152 kbps (269 KB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 760 kbps (95 KB/sec transfer rate)

Again we're up... note that the Laptop is sitting in the same room as the desktop and the signal strength is also low.. I imagine I'd get better responce time with the Laptop in the living room where the signal strength varies between Very Good to Excellent. Let's try a ping test.

Down to 2% loss with a minimum of 12ms. Max of 695ms, pulling an average of 37ms.

Streaming a video as we speak.. even in this room with a low signal I have no buffering issues. I'll still have to secure the network and run with that. Let's hope for the best, I'll keep everyone informed. Going to run a line test now and see what I come up with.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well I seem to be up and running with a much better connection. Still trolling a slight buffering issue.. plays fine for about 5 or 10 minutes, pauses, and audio comes back then video catches up.... any suggestions at this point?

·
Citizen of the world
51,041 Posts
None, unless perhaps changing the wireless channel might help. Perhaps there's some interference in your area.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.