Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A couple weeks ago my HP Pavilion notebook stopped detecting wireless. The switch at the bottom is a red color and when I go to the device manager it said the Microsoft 6to4 adapters were not working because of a "Code 31: This device is not working properly because Windows cannot load the drivers required for this device". I uninstalled the driver, tried to reinstall, and my computer said the reinstall was successful but the driver did not reappear. I downloaded the "Intel PRO Wireless 2200BG Network Connection" and the same error appears. My computer still can't recognize wireless capabilities and HP support is no help at all. I can use an ethernet cable but I need wireless. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to fix this? Thank you for all your help!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i installed the Intel PRO Wireless driver and it still doesn't work. After rebooting, I tried installing the Broadcom Wireless LAN driver and it said access was denied and it would not install.

·
Registered
4,586 Posts
Lets make sure you are choosing the correct driver for the wireless.

Uninstall the wireless drivers in add/remove (control panel)
Also check in device manager under network adapters, uninstall them here too if any are still here.
reboot pc
go back into device manager, and look for any yellow ! marks and report them here please.
If theres a wireless adapter showing with yellow ! mark, give me what is listed there.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I went into the control panel and uninstalled the Broadcam Wireless adapter. There is no wireless devices listed in device manager under network adapters, only "Marvell Fast Ethernet Controller" which is functioning correctly. No devices are listed with a yellow "!" because I have already uninstalled them.

Thank you for all of your help so far! I really appreciate it. I'm just so frustrated it stopped working.

Unfortunately, not my service number nor model were listed in that warranty information. It does sound very similar to my problem though.

·
Registered
9,639 Posts
HI,
Enter the Device Manager again.
Do you "see" any yellow !? or Red x listed in the Device Manager?
It would not be necessarily under Network Adapters.

If the wireless card is connected in the laptop, then windows should "see" it.
If it does not have the correct driver or not functioning correctly then windows will show an error in the Device Manager.

If there are no errors, then I would suspect either a bad wireless card or the issue I posted above.

Although your model may not be listed, others have contacted HP and had models fixed (by HP) for this issue. This is a known issue for both AMD (primary models that have this issue) and Intel processors. The fix is to replace the Motherboard (cost est. $400.00).
It may be worth contacting HP and see what they say.

Let us know if you find ANY errors in the Device Manager.

Thanks,
Bill

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
As of now, there are no yellow "!" or red "x"'s in device manager.

When I go to "add legacy hardware" i can install the Intel PRO Wireless driver again when it says "the software for this device is now installed, but may not work correctly. This device is not working properly because Windows cannot load the drivers required for this device. (Code 31)". Then "Intel PRO/Wireless Network Connection" is listed in device manager with a yellow "!". I can uninstall this again and then there are no errors listed in device manager.

Thank you again for all of your suggestions

·
Registered
9,639 Posts
Hi,
Uninstall all the drivers you have installed for your wireless connection.
Look in both Add/Remove programs to uninstall and in the Device Manager (Go to the Device Manager>Right click on any wireless network driver>Uninstall)

Reboot the computer.
Upon reboot:
If the "New Hardware Found" wizard appears select CANCEL.

Enter the Device Manager.
If the wireless card you have is not working correctly (but windows detects it), it should be in error.
Right click on this error>Properties>Details Tab
Post the info you find under Device Instance ID (DEV_VEN_ numbers).

Thanks,
Bill

·
Registered
9,639 Posts
After uninstalling all drivers for the wireless connection, there are no errors in Device Manager. There is nothing for a wireless driver in the network adapters.

Thank you!
Hi,
So upon reboot, Vista did not detect your wireless card?
You have NO errors any where in the Device Manager?
Your wireless is still not working?

Just want clarification.
Bill

·
Registered
9,639 Posts
Hi,
Did you contact HP to see if they will do anything?

Seeing you uninstalled the wireless card drivers and upon reboot Windows did not detect your wireless card, I would almost have to say you have a recall issue.

Although HP may give you a hard time it may be worth a shot to talk with them (kindly).
I have known others who have had this issue resolved by HP (replace motherboard) even though they were not on the recall list. It is worth the shot anyways.

If HP does not want to do anything, you have two choices (IMO)
Replace the Motherboard
Replace the wireless card with a PCMCIA card.

There is a very SLIM chance that you may have an issue with the wireless card itself or the OS.

Have you had any serivice done to the laptop recently (Physically had it taken apart for cleaning or other service)? Just need to know, as if you did the card may have become disconnected or dislodged some how.

Do you have any other issues recently where you may have had a Virus/Malware or something else that may have affected your operating system?

Bill

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Nothing's changed at all with service or virus/malware. I'll try to call HP again. Thank you so much for all of your help. I truly appreciate it!

One last question, do you know ballpark of how much it may cost to send the computer in? That's what I'm most apprhensive about. I might just keep using an ethernet cable if it's too expensive

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.