Tech Support Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've recently installed windows XP Service Pack 1 on my Dell Inspiron 510m. When ever I try to connect to wi fi wirelessly I select the router then enter the password and the confirmation password. I click 'Connect' but nothing happens and the Wireless network Connection window goes. Under wireless network connection it says 'Wireless
connection unavailable in lighter text . I hope the image below will help -
Computer Cloud Personal computer Font Gadget

·
TSF Moderator , Hardware Team , Networking Team
8,855 Posts

·
Global Moderator
42,228 Posts
You will have a hard time getting online with Windows XP. There are no longer any browsers that are supported and most web sites will block you.
With that being said, WPA2+PSK wireless authentication was introduced with Windows XP SP3. All routers from the last 10 years or more use this form or authentication to initiate WiFi. You will have to Upgrade to SP3 if you want to try and get online with WiFi. That is if your WiFi Adapter supports WPA2+PSK, as stated, it might be too old.

·
Global Moderator
51,344 Posts
No offense, but maybe it's time to retire that antique. :)

·
Registered
27 Posts
There is still one lone developer updating Mozilla-based browsers for XP.

You probably will need a minimum of Service Pack 3 to run them as was mentioned. Most new routers don't even have WEP as an option to connect so you will need a new WIFI adapter as well as Service Pack 3.

My old Compaq V2000 works perfectly with 97% of web (Youtube, Gmail, etc.) using Serpent web browser 55 for XP from RTfreesoft. I also purchased a Realtek 8811CU 802.11ac USB WIFI adapter which has XP drivers so I can connect at high speed to my AC1900 router.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Is there a reason you are using WinXP and not some version of Linux on this? You may still need an updated wireless adapter to connect, but ANY modern Linux distro, even a lightweight one, will do more than XP AND be secure.

·
Registered
5 Posts
If I remember correctly XP Service Pack 2 was the final major bug and security improvement without major bloat. I have not used XP on the internet in years. 64bit XP might work better for security purposes. There is no technical reason that you cannot browse safely with XP as long as you are aware of the common pitfalls.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts