Tech Support banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I joined this forum in hope of finding a solution to a very annoying problem of wireless connection of mine.
This wireless connection problem happens really randomly, as in doesn't have a certain period of time when it happens and doesn't have any special circumstances for it to happen.

So... this is what happens:
(I have very limited knowledge on my laptop, pardon me for any unclear message)

Ok. You know in a vista laptop/pc, when you right click on the computer icon (connection icon) at the right bottom corner of the taskbar and click "Connect to a network", a list of availble wireless and non-wireless connection will appear, right ? And the connections shown on the list are based on the set connections in "Manage wireless network".

Now, I have this connection (LAPTOP_BG) that is shown in the lists in "Manage wireless network" and i made sure the settings are all correct as i have checked with the main laptop itself.

The PROBLEM is : This "LAPTOP_BG" keep appearing and disappearing from the connection list in "Connect to a network" and sometimes the connection status ranges from "Security-enabled network", "Connected with limited access" and finally "Connected" WHICH only stays CONNECTED for 5 minutes and it dissapears from the "Connect to a network" list again. The connection level bars are always full (means excellent connection) when it shows up.

I did not have this problem before that time when i inserted the password 3 times wrongly and THEN it disappeared for the first time. I have corrected the problem as i made sure the password is correct now (if not, it won't connect at all, which it did, for 5 minutes before disappearing again).

So ,PLEASE PLEASE, is there anyway at all to make sure that "LABTOP_BG" connection STAYS in the "Connect to a network" list ??? and make sure it actually connects.(Of course, unless if the setting are wrong, which i'm sure is not)

I really really hope someone would find a precise solution for this, any help would be MUCH MUCH MUCH appreciated. I know I sound very demanding and I'm really sorry for that, plus my poor descriptions of this problem due to my lack of knowledge & experience in this field, again, I apologize.

Final big THANK YOU for any help! I'm in desperate need Y_Y

·
Administrator, Manager, Microsoft Support, MVP
34,393 Posts
Go into Device Manager, enable hidden devices - "view" tab, expand the network tree branch, un-install ALL devices. Re-boot, Vista will re-install the devices it needs.

Also, be sure that your NIC drivers are up-to-date - go to the manufacturer's web site - Intel, Realtek, etc...

Regards. . .

jcgriff2

·
Administrator, Manager, Microsoft Support, MVP
34,393 Posts
Go into Device Manager, enable hidden devices - "view" tab, expand the network tree branch, un-install ALL devices. Re-boot, Vista will re-install the devices it needs.

Also, be sure that your NIC drivers are up-to-date - go to the manufacturer's web site - Intel, Realtek, etc...

Regards. . .

jcgriff2

Have you tried uninstalling/reboot/reinstallng the wifi adapter driver in device manager?
Have you run a scan for malware?
Great minds.....

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the guide there. It worked for a few days, the wireless connection appears in the list. But the problem arised again this time. I've tried reinstalling the drivers again and this time it didn't work. When I switch on wireless network, my laptop can detect other networks in range. However, can't detect this particular connection from a router that literally sits right next to my laptop. Another laptop in my house in the other room has no problem connecting to this "LAPTOP_BG".
I've also manually setup/connect to LAPTOP_BG after reinstalling the drivers so "LAPTOP_BG" is the only connection in the "Manage wireless netowork" window. However, it won't appear in the "connect to a network" list.
please please help me. I've no idea what is happening.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I can't seem to find any reliable but FREE malware programs that will actually fix the malwares without redirecting me to a window that asks me to buy the product to clear it.
Do you guys have any link for that ? Thanks !

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.