Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Laptop - IBM Thinkpad with Win XP Pro SP3 running and Intel PRO/Wireless LAN 2100 card inside -- can detect network via Netgear wireless -N 150 router but can't connect, using WEP connection, updated Intel PRO card drivers but still can't connect...

When I try to connect, it just loops and then flips back to list of wireless connections but never connects...not sure if it is a Win XP Pro SP3 thing, windows configuration thing

The Netgear router works fine, other devices like iTouch, iPhone can connect using WEP key...just not the laptop...any help would be greatly appreciated

·
Global Moderator
Electronic Design
52,352 Posts
Remove all the stored wireless network profiles from the XP computer and then try connecting again. Are you using HEX keys for the WEP key and not the passphrase?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I did remove all and unplug and reboot and worked with networking expert until 11 p.m. last night...and then I tried the unthinkable...I loaded my husband's ATT Communications Manager software, detected the network and was able to connect.

I do believe this is a Win XP Pro SP# compatibility issue as the Netgear router is very new and the wireless adapter in IBM Thinkpad is older; I did update the adapter drivers too.

Via Windows wireless networking, I was able to get as far as seeing the network and getting a validating connection response. Windows wanted a valid certificate to enable connection which is strange as this isn't an enterprise system. Anyway, it is working now using a 3rd party communication software program. Thanks.

·
Global Moderator
Electronic Design
52,352 Posts
I believe you have 802.1x authentication enabled on the WZC configuration, which is probably why it failed. If you disable that, WZC will probably connect just fine.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.