Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A friend's laptop - Dell Inspiron 9400 - Win XP -IE 8 - Firefox - AOL (I know!)
is currently connected to a public WiFi but I can't get on any of the above. AOL says "Connected, Not Signed-on"

My laptop - Sony Vaio - ie 7 - easily connects to the WiFi and easily opens to Internet in all programs.
She's ina hospital and bored silly
Any ideas?
I hate ie 8!

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
does she have a firewall program like zonealarm running ?? that could be blocking her access
check her control panel>System> device manager for any yellow exclamation marks maybe she has a bad device driver....what wireless network monitoring program is she using intel proset or windows wireless monitoring ....and does it say she is connected to the open wireless network are you sure WEP encryption is not setup on the wireless signal you are seeing is this wireless network at the hospital sorry for all the dumb questions

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You're thinking of the type of things I've been looking for except I hadn't thought of the bad driver. All the drivers are good.
Something is blocking it - no WEP encryption
Do you think IE 8 is doing it? That is really the only difference in my laptop and hers. I also don't know much about her virus program
She's so nervous about me changing anything on her computer! I'm just letting her use mine.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.