Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Compaq V3000z Laptop just over a year old. I was surfing my wireless network earlier this morning and experienced strange connection problems like my wireless connection stalling, losing connection suddenly etc. I thought this might be a problem due to the wireless DSL gateway. After cold resetting my modem, I was still experiencing problems. Suddenly my wireless connection on my laptop dissappeared. Looking in my device manager there is no longer any wireless network card even registered. Any thoughts on how to fix or reconnect my hardware?

·
Citizen of the world
51,041 Posts
First off, did you check if the switch (or function key) that disables the wireless was pressed? That's what I'd look for first. I'd also look in the BIOS and make sure the wireless capability is enabled.

If that's not it, the wireless hardware may have failed.

Start, Run, devmgmt.msc

Under Network adapters, please tell me all the devices listed. Also, are there any devices anywhere in the Device Manager display with yellow ? or ! displayed?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This problem was solved. After talking to some of my Comp Sci professors, one recommended removing my battery from my laptop, making sure to drain the power from the computer by holding down the power button for a few seconds, then plugging into my A/C adapter and resetting my BIOS to default. Whatever the combination of things was, my wireless card "magically" re-appeared in the Device Manager window and works fine. Still not sure why it lost functionality in the first place.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
At the risk of writing in reply to one of my own posts, I've come to the conclusion that the issue is with the hardware. Not sure the cause, however, when I reinstalled the drivers for the Broadcom 802.11g wireless card, it was unable to find the respective hardware. I think at this point I will just have to bite the bullet and buy a new wireless card.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.