Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright, we've been stuck with dial up for a very very long time and can now get wireless broadband. My question is, does it have rediculously high ping rates like satellite? I ask because both seem to work in a very similar fashion. I'm wondering because I play a few games online. I've searched on the internet for stuff, but I've found so many different answers I don't know what to think.

Thanks.

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
Wireless broadband is a really "broad" term here. Can't stay what your actual ping/latency will be as it is dependant on the network technology, topology, design and loading.

In general terms satellite has a minimum propagation delay and buffering that cannot be worked around. Usually satellite ping times are in the area of 550-700 ms depending on a lot of factors.

As for your wireless option, you might not know anything about the network performance until you sign up and try it. It might be worth doing a web search on the provider and see if they offer any technical info on their network.

I would "assume" that the ping times on a wireless broadband could be as low as 30-50 ms, but again, this is an assumption, not knowing anything about the network.

JamesO

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.