Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Number one, I was wondering about connecting a pc to a mac network. at school, I have access to a wireless network; and while I don't yet have my laptop, my classmates that do, cannot connecto to the network. none of them are very computer savvy, and I (in all my brilliance ;-) have no idea how to make it work. I have read about it and heard that it is entirely possible. If so, how?

Second, can you actually bog down a wireless connection if you do heavy downloading or gaming (e.g. Counterstrike or World of Warcraft)? I have worked with computers and the net for quite awhile, but never with wireless.

Thanks in advance =]

·
Citizen of the world
51,047 Posts
An 802.11g wireless network will come to it's knees very quickly with multiple connections. All of the connections are half-duplex, and they all contend on a time-division multiplexing manner, for the bandwidth.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys. I really appreciate the help.

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
A network, should be a network, regardless of MAC or PC (unless someone is still foolishly using AppleTalk!). Assuming the network is TCP/IP, then you can have a mix of MAC, PC, Linux, etc.

If your school has a wireless network, and if they have not encrypted the link or enabled other types of security features, you should be able to access the network once you have a wireless card that supports the appropriate wireless band. Most likely a wireless G card will work for you.

JamesO

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.