Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I have a Dell Dimension 8200 with a CNET Pro WL200 PCI Fast Ethernet Adapter. I also have a Linksys WRT54GX2 wireless router. When I connect the comp to the router with an ethernet cable(to any of the 4 ports) it shows 'network cable unplugged', the ethernet LEDs on the router are off and one NIC link light is green is color. But if I connect the comp directly to the modem with the same cable, I'm able to go online and both the link lights are on(one solid and the other blinking). I have a Dell laptop which is able to go online wired to the same router with the same cable with all the ports.

I contacted Linksys and upgraded the router firmware but it did not help. They suggested that I contact Dell and get the latest drivers for the card. But no drivers have been released by Dell for this card after 2001 and I already have that version. And I really dont think its a driver issue considering I am able to go online wired to modem. I tried refreshing the drivers, disabled and enabled the LAN connection numerous times, repaired the connection, played around with the speed/duplex settings but it did not help. checked if I have an Internet Gateway under Network Connections but it was not there.

Please help...I'm totally clueless

·
Citizen of the world
51,151 Posts
What is the make/model of the modem? Is the cable a straight patch cable or a crossover cable? This sounds like a cable issue.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Not sure if its a cabling issue

Dai: Its a patch cable between the modem and the router and yes, the cable is connected to the WAN(or Internet) port of the router

John: I'm not sure if its a cable issue coz the same cable lets the desktop go online when wired directly to the modem and also the laptop goes online when wired to the router with the same cable. Its a patch cable that I am using. I dont remember the make and the model of the modem and I'm not at home. Will let you know when I get back but how could the modem be an issue?

·
Citizen of the world
51,151 Posts
In order to research issues, we need to know all the equipment involved.

·
Citizen of the world
51,151 Posts
OK, have you reset the router to factory defaults by holding the reset down for more than 10 seconds with the power on? After that, turn off the modem and router. Connect the router to the modem and computer. Turn on the modem, wait for a solid connect. Turn on the router, wait for two minutes. Boot the machine.

If you're still not connected with known good cables, I'm guessing the router's dead, since you've tested all the other parts.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
i haven't tried resetting the router...only performed a firmware upgrade. will try that out. i hope the router is not dead, the laptop works beautifully wired and wireless with it

do u think it is a compatibility issue? i mean, the card is a real old one with drivers released in 2001 and nothing after that. is it possible that the relatively new Linksys router may not be interested in talking to the old guy? a generation gap of sorts? :)

·
Citizen of the world
51,151 Posts
The card shouldn't be an issue, I have systems with really old NIC's and they work fine. Have you tried a different port on the router? I'd use the one that the laptop connected to, you know that one's good. :smile:

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
yes i have tried all the ethernet ports but the issue persists. the corresponding LED does not light up and network connections shows 'network cable unplugged'. laptop goes online thru all the four ports with the same ethernet cable. i will try resetting the router

·
Citizen of the world
51,151 Posts
I have seen isolated instances where issues like this were resolved by sticking a simple switch in the middle of the connection between the machine and the router. I've always chalked it up to electrical grounding issues.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.