Tech Support banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi!
New to the forum. I am having an issue I have never seen before. My Windows 10 PC is connected to the 300mbps Shaw Internet with a new cat6 cable which has been tested and worked on wife’s laptop to 280mbps. Multiple browsers connect for a brief second and then trail off to nothing. Speedtest app gets 10ms ping and starts at 5mbps and then slows to 0mbps for an average of 0.15. Upload stays steady at 1.50mbps. All other devices in house using wifi and wired connections are working fine. Tried turning off firewalls, no change. Tried starting in safe mode with networking, no change. Restored computer to a time when everything was working, no change.
Really at a loss here. Please help.
Thanks, Lance

·
Premium Member
19,738 Posts
did you try a router power cycle. even though other devices are working, sometimes there is one that cannot get a good connection. Pull the power plug for a 20 count the plug back in. Do not use the power button if it has one. you can also try plugging direct into the modem and see if it helps - assuming you have two different devices.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
did you try a router power cycle. even though other devices are working, sometimes there is one that cannot get a good connection. Pull the power plug for a 20 count the plug back in. Do not use the power button if it has one. you can also try plugging direct into the modem and see if it helps - assuming you have two different devices.
Yep. Did a complete reset of the Shaw gateway modem, no change. Also did a power cycle a little while after that. Each time restarting the computer. No luck.

·
Premium Member
19,738 Posts
do you have two devices, a modem and a router or are they one device?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
do you have two devices, a modem and a router or are they one device?
Just the one device. There is a coax cable going into it, then a cat5e coming out. That goes to a 5 port hub. A cat5e cable comes from that hub to another hub in the office. Then a cat6 cable comes from that hub to my computer. It has been working like that for months. I also tested the cable using my wife's laptop and she is getting 280mbps using that cable. So I know that the issue is not the wires, it is my computer. My computer says the internet is connected and when I use the Speedtest app to test it, it starts up, gets a ping of 10ms, goes up to 4-5mbps, then slows to 0mbps. Then upload goes to 1.5mbps.

·
Team Manager, Microsoft Support
28,056 Posts
Max bend for Cat 6 is 1". Any problem there?

·
Team Manager, Microsoft Support
28,056 Posts
I meant how it's routed.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I wonder if the ethernet card is faulty. It is part of a larger board that has video and audio outputs as well as a couple USB ports. I will have to take a picture of it tonight. I did unplug and replug the connectors, but that didn't help.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
what the make and model of computer or make and model of motherboard. if has separate nic card make and model
It was a custom made computer. I will have to get some more information when I am back at home and can take a look inside. Thanks.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well, thanks for all your help. It was a faulty Ethernet card! 🙄 Fixed and back online!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts