Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the same problem. The solution appears to be to prevent the computer from attempting to establish an internet connection via the LAN at all, by not providing it with default gateway or dns information.

Windows has a built in priority to look for an internet connection via an ethernet port before it starts looking anywhere else; if it finds a correctly se-up lan network (or a wan) it simply ignores the w-lan / wifi / usb.. why? I do not know.

It's a stupid solution because:
If you're running a media server (like it appears you are- and i am too) some connectivity will be lost when the LAN connection isn't supplied with all of the information about the router (you will see that the router name will probably change to something generic etc. after these changes are made to the tcp/ip settings)
So, I am left with two choices.

1. I can use all of my LAN network resources.
2. I can unplug my LAN(ethernet) cable, and quite happily browse the internet.

Somewhere along the line i've also lost the ability to save documents to the server when my other office computer (with a different IP) connects to it. (the media server is an iomega network hard-drive incidentally)

·
Global Moderator
Electronic Design
52,320 Posts
Even though it appears you're having the same problem, please start a new thread when you have a new issue. It's very difficult to keep two problems straight and who's working on what in a single thread.

I've created a new thread for your issue here.

Note: You will need to post complete details of your configuration and your specific issue in this new thread for us to help you.

Thanks for your cooperation.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.