Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to wipe a drive clean so I can reformat it (don't ask)
Windows XP SP2 will not load, so I made it a slave drive on another computer and want to reformat it before putting it back in the other PC
any freeware out there that will help?
Thanks guys!
:sayyes:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Danger?

I have loaded a windows XP home edition that came with my other computer. Problem is, the computer with the problem doesn't recognize it and gives me the blue screen of death when I put the HD in. WHen I try to upgrade the windows XP to professional, it won't allow it, saying the HD is corrupt. That is why I guessed wiping the drive clean would solve the problem. Is this safe to do, is it the best way to handle this?
Tx.... :rolleyes:

·
Registered
7,747 Posts
Are you saying that you put the drive into another computer, loaded WinXP then put the drive back into the original computer?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
well...

Yeah, I have 2 computers. One is an emachines which came with it's original software, XP home. I took the HD out of my other machine and put it in as a slave drive in the emachine. I loaded up windows using the emachine version. Now, the other PC doesn't recognize it and gives me a blue screen of death. I have a downloaded version of Windows XP SP2 that I want to load up on the bad HD, but it won't allow it saying the HD is corrupt. WHat can I do?
Tx :4-dontkno

·
TSF Team Emeritus, Microsoft Support
15,478 Posts
Ouch and uh oh :rolleyes:
1. You cannot install WIndows XP on more than 1 computer, legal reasons
2. You also cannot place a hard drive that has an O.S. installed on it into another system, you have gotten exactly what is expected, you need to place the drive in the computer you are going to use it in and install a legal copy of Windows onto the drive.
3. (Info brought to my attention)
I have a downloaded version of Windows XP SP2 that I want to load up on the bad HD
Wrong, you cannot use this, this is illegal and we will not support this in any way.

You obviously are practicing some illegal operations (hehe) and this thread will be closed. No further assistance will be offered.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.