Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
TSF Team Emeritus
5,580 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok, i am having a problem with a friend's pc and it has xp.
now, i avoid xp like the plague, having used it enough to hate it.
and that has not happened with any other OS.

but this is the problem, and i am going to sound like an idiot.

when you right click on a file, and choose "send to" it pops up a list of places that it is ready to send it. well, the problem is, she doesnt want the shortcuts that are in there, she wants shortcuts to entirely different places. now in win98 this is a piece of cake, but with xp they seem to have buggered it up.

i have tried the links in the sticky thread of xp tips, and this is what they said...

go to C:\documents and settings\username\sendto\

(and yes i know to replace the "username" with the username of the owner...finding this menu isnt the problem, it is opening and adding shortcuts like the fix says i should be able to)

well i figured it would be somewhere odd, this is XP, but when we try to do this, it says it cannot be opened and it shows that folder,(the sendto folder) as a DLL file. what the hell is this? why would microsoft go and encrypt something that people would want instant access to on an often basis? this seems really stupid to me. apparently she doesnt have a sendto folder, but a sendto DLL. nowhere have i found any info on this, or why they tried to fix something that isnt broken. but, nonetheless, i am stumped.

the "easy sendto fix" for xp says to just throw a shortcut into there. but you cant put a shortcut into a DLL!
or at least i don't think you can.....

i personally on my98 i make a shortcut to the sendto and then drop it into the sendto menu. this gives me the ability to instantly make a shortcut, and send it to the sendto menu, thus adding that new location to the list of locations that you can send to. personally i think microsoft needs to pull their head out of the *** it is buried into and quit making it so we cant modify the look and function of our machines.

I HATE XP!

~BoB~

·
Registered
24 Posts
Hey Bob,

Send To is actually a folder. I have found that it works best when you put the shortcut in both All Users folder and the "User" folder. Hope this helps.

·
TSF Team Emeritus
5,580 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
what?

put what shortcut in both menus?

i tried to explain, there isnt a send to folder on that machine, instead there is a send to dll file. i cant just make shortcuts to this thing, and i cant put the shortcuts i want where i want them.

i repeat:

on the machine that is bothering me, there is no folder named "send to"
there is however a dll named "send to.dll" and i cant do anything to it.

for real, why isnt it just in "C:/windows/send to/" like it is in 98.

xp sucks ***.

~BoB~

·
Registered
24 Posts
It is one of those hidden folders it should be in "C:\Documents and Settings\(user)\SendTo" just make sure to unhide the files and folders.

·
TSF Team Emeritus
5,580 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
yup

EDITED: Bob vila edited this post to remove aggravating statements he himself made.

man, i shouldnt get so worked up over other peoples machines.

for real, who even will care in 10,000 years?

I KNOW I WONT!!!!

~BoB~

·
Registered
24 Posts
I wasn't trying to make you look stupid, sorry if I did that. It's just you never really know what a person's level of experience is on these message boards. I have never came across a computer with XP that didn't have a SendTo folder to create the shortcut in. I just searched my XP machine and the only SendTo.dll file that I see in Office XP folder. I'll leave this thread alone now, maybe someone else can help .. sorry but that's all I was trying to do.

One more thing .. try doing a search for send to .. just make sure under advanced options in search that you search hidden files and folders..

That's it .. sorry just trying to help , not looking to offend.

·
TSF Team Emeritus
5,580 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
aww

well, i am sorry i jumped up so irritated at you. i understand that it isnt an easy task to deduct a users level of experience, and i apologize for my rudeness.

see what has happened is this:

i hate XP.
a friend of mine expects me to fix their XP.
i dont want to.
but i feel as if they will just make it worse if i dont do it.
so i feel i should, just so i dont have to reinstall it later.
so i am very bitter about it.

i wasnt really mad at anyone inparticular, but i have reached the point where i want her to take her PC and stick it in the dark place inside her abdomen.

and in fact there is also a sendto dll in the office folder.

im going to give up, and tell her that someone did something to her XP.

and that was not the first time my attempts to help someone with xp ended in a disagreement between me and someone else.

and i really feel 10 inches tall now that i yelled about it.

·
Premium Member
1,611 Posts
holy crap I can feel the heat over here !!!
lol, j/k bob vila...I know that feeling. I found something dough but I dont know how helpful will that be but Im gonna post it and run and hide.... :tongue2:

this is an excerpt from a book (is that how you spell excerpt young man ? ) about xp and putting stuff into sendto :

start quote :

Can I Put My New Zip Disk Drive's Icon on the SendTo Menu?
I love using the SendTo menu. It makes copying or moving files a snap. The typical SendTo menu has the floppy drive listed as well as a CD-R drive (see Chapter 15). But if you've installed a new Zip drive on your computer, it may not be listed. To add that drive, or any removable type of disk drive, to the helpful SendTo menu, follow these steps:

First you need to locate the drive, so open the My Computer window.

Right-click on the drive.

Choose 'Create Shortcut' from the pop-up menu.

Here's where Windows actually-believe it or not-behaves in a logical and clever manner: you cannot create a shortcut in the My Computer window, so you're asked to create a shortcut on the Desktop instead. Very handy.

Click Yes.

Close the My Computer window.

And you should see the shortcut icon to your Zip (or whatever) drive on the Desktop. First part's done!

Tip You can place just about anything on the SendTo menu, not just a disk drive but a folder or even a program. I put the Notepad program on my SendTo menu, which allows me to send unknown files to the Notepad for a quick peek at their contents.

Second, you need to copy the shortcut icon to the SendTo menu's secret folder, so right-click on the Start button.

Choose Open All Users.

This displays the Start Menu items shared by all users of your computer.

Click the Up button.

Open the SendTo folder.

Resize or move the SendTo window so that you can see the Zip (or whatever) drive shortcut on the Desktop.

Drag the shortcut into the SendTo folder.

end quote.

here is a screenshot following this little quote :

p.s. it is odd that it would be encrypted.....maybe we need to call Scully.....(creepy xfiles music in the background).... I have to try this when I get home..hopefully today.

·
TSF Team Emeritus
5,580 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
well

i found a site that explained that exact same method, and it didnt work on this particular machine.

i couldnt even find that folder by typing in the locations they show, (the same location you are showing me) and i have disabled file hiding on the machine. it shows other hidden folders and files. it does not acknowledge any existence of this folder.

it does still have a send to menu when you right click on files.

but it has invalid destinations.

i really give up at this point, as i have looked at another machine with xp, (my mother in law has XP on her machine and it is normal from what i can tell) and i see the things you are talking about on it. but not this one machine in particular.

and to add to the info on the machine, it was previously owned by one of those stupid methheads, and it is all messed up because of it...

i am really working hard to convince her to throw it away, it isnt even worth trying to fix....

dont ever let a tweeker work on your stuff....

~BoB~

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.