Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently got 20 or so new PCs with 1.8ghz and 256mb RAM. I installed Winxp Home edition on it and Office Xp. I installed all the Micro Soft service packs and security fixes.

My users have complianed that WinXp is running a lot slower then Win2000. The main issue is their Outlook takes forever to load. Some of my users have a pretty big pst file.

I tried evrything I know by turning off all unnecassary settings and it still does not run any faster.

The PCs has McAfee virus scan, Office Xp Small Business, Adobe Acobrat, Client Access, and Lucent Message Maneger.

Need help ASAP!!!!

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
Welcome,

In the task manager of a system in question what is the information contained in the Performance Tab.

Also how many processes do you have running on the machines. (This can be found in the Processes tab)

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Should it matter. Becauese the old machines were only 350 to 700mhz with 128mb RAM. They had all the same programs on Win2000 as they do now on WinXp.

The PC should have well then enough CPU and Memory to handle all the programs.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Is there any way possible that it has to do with McAfee Virus Scan?

I'm stuck and need help fast!!!!

Thanks.:confused: :confused: :confused:

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
No luck. Outlook works fine on my PC which is running Win2000 with Office2000. But on the users PC (which is twice as fast as mine and twice the memory) running WinXp and OfficeXp it runs slower.

I have all the same programs on my PC as they do on theirs. I looked at MicroSofts site and found nothing that I already know. I called Dell (where I got the new PCs) and they told me the same things I was trying.

Right now I willing to try anything because the users are getting annoyed.

Help Please!!!!!!

:angel: :angel: :angel:

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
This problem only occurs is Outlook?

How large is the .pst file and where does the delay come into play, on load - switching between menus, retrieving mail, viewing mail, ect...

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Most of the users notices it in Outlook but when I go see the problem I notice that it takes longer to bring up the start menu and access the programs. I have to create shortcuts on the desktop to eliminate the slowness of the start menu.

And when the user is in Outlook, when they switch from floder to folder you could really notice the slowness.

Some users pst file is large and some are small, but they are all having the same problems.

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
Sounds like it could be the graphics card performance... try turing down the resolution to like 16 bit from what its at, also in the Control Panel > System > Advanced > Performance Settings > Select the "Adjust for best performance button."

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'll try turning down the settings but I switched all of them to classic view from WinXp view. And it is set to adjust for best performance.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I really can not tell if it is faster or not. I tried it on two PC and they seem to be running the same. But after you access the folder once it seems to access the folder faster. Wierd???

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
Last guess Iv got .... what are your virtual memory settings?

anyone who wants to bail me out .... step right in and score the correct answer :D

·
Registered
42 Posts
TheTechIsIn said:
Last guess Iv got .... what are your virtual memory settings?

anyone who wants to bail me out .... step right in and score the correct answer :D
Let me pull something out of my *** here. Might just be hardware problem here. Maybe you can try some of the speed tests that test how fast your computer runs? Try listing your hardware here, maybe some other tech expert on this forum can help you.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.