Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, :4-dontkno

Hi

The "System" in WinXP registry was corrupt, giving me a black screen and a non-functional system. This motivated me to try a manual registry restore, using MSKB Article #307545.
Now I cannot access a user profile.

Would you know how I can get it functional again, or at least recover some pictures and letters from within the profile.

Operating System: WinXP, Drive format: NTFS

Solutions tried:
I applied MSKB Article 307545, in;
C:\windows\system32\config\

Running a “dir /w”, I saw no contents.

I then viewed

C:\windows\repair\ and using “dir” saw “System, Software, Sam, Security, Default, and a few User, and NTUser files along with a db file and a text file.

I think I went back and tried to view files under “config” What I remember is seeing nothing there!

The “user” and “ntuser” files found in the repair folder, I was not certain how to apply, when I tried after removing the portion of the names up to the “user_#######, and ntuser_########”
I was unable to copy them over into the config folder.

After applying the main hives and booting successfully, My user profile was not available, the one I was using before the crash was a renamed profile that only can be located by the old original name now, but it is not accessable.

I checked to see if I could apply a system restore point and there were no options other than Jan 18, 2008, which was yesterday the day I applied these solution attempts.

I booted into “Safe Mode” as Administrator and tried to claim owner ship over the profile, which I succeeded in doing for the initial folder but the sub folders remain locked. I tried to apply the settings to all subfolders and files, but that has not been successful.

Are there any other options?

Thank you.

·
Registered
3,332 Posts
hello & welcome to TSF ,

you can get a (shareware/freeware/purchase) program from here

follow this link

(http://www.majorgeeks.com/downloads38.html)

these programs might help in recovering your (files/data/pictures) it just depoends how much of them have been overwriten

Mike

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Mike,

Thank you for the link.

I have found that booting to Windows XP from a CD with a few functional tools may enable the recovery of undeleted files that have simply been lost due to user profile corruption!

The best Free tool I have found for this so far is: pebuilder3110a.exe
http://www.nu2.nu/pebuilder/

Another useful free tool is: The Ultimate Boot disc
So far I like the simplicity and functionality of PEBuilder best.
The one possible draw back may be that I will have to copy the files to a fat formatted partition or drive in order to retain access to the files once I boot up the computer from the hard drive once again.

I will find this out when I attempt it this coming monday.

Thanks again :wave:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.