Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

My Xp Home PC has 4 user profiles. I remember when first setting up the PC I did the following:

Used 2 hard-drives:

1st Hard-drive: Only storing the Operating system
2nd Hard-drive: For storing applications, photos, documents etc

Now, when I load my profile, it takes 3 full minutes till i can use the desktop. I have delete some big programs. I tried editing the registry, bootvis, no change. I even went to MSconfig and disabled all the start up programs and non xp services.

Anyone got ideas how to speed up my user profile?

Thanks

Simon

·
Banned
2,854 Posts
Did you move your My Documents My Pictures and My Music Folder to the 2nd Hard Drive? If so then Windows is looking for the Default My Documents folder and it is taking a few minutes to find it. To test this theory, create a new profile, and log out of your old one and log into the new one. If that boots faster then try moving the My Documents back to C: and then take the contents and move them into there own folders on the secondary drive. Afterward, use CCleaner to delete temp files.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Update

Hi,

I just realized I have windows XP installed on both hard drives. I don't think I deleted windows on my storage hard-drive. Anyways, I did a search for my documents folder and it is located on both hard drives.

I checked task manager for processes using heaps of CPU usage and RAM - I found nothing.

I created a new user profile (admin) and it started up quickly. I should use a new user profile.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.