Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I run defrag, the analyzing goes fine. Then when it finishes analyzing, it proceeds to defrag, however, it says "Compacting Files" and shows itself to be at 1%....the drive is actively doing something (non-stop), and that's where it stays. So far i've let it do that for up to 15 mins, but stopped it thinking it would harm the drive to let it go any farther. I'm new to XP and this is the first time I've run defrag on my machine. I only have about 9 gig of files to defrag. I just need to know if it (compacting) should take this long. Don't want to burn up my drive! :cry:

Thanks in advance to anyone who can give me some insight into this problem!

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Defragging isn't a quick process. Depending on how big your drive is or how many processes you have running it could take hours. I would boot into Safe Mode (restart while tapping F8 repeatedly) and run Defrag.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Tried running it in "Safe Mode", let it run for an hour....still says "Compacting Files" and remains at 1%. Remember, this is a new computer. I have installed a few software titles, but there's only about 9 gigabytes out of 120 GB drive used. My old computer ran WinME (don't laugh!) and I had 30 of a 40 GB drive, and it only took me 30 minutes at most to defrag. That's why I'm worried about this staying at 1% and the drive buzzing continuously.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
You can't defrag volumes that are dirty. You should run chkdsk to scan for disk errors. Open a command prompt and type the following...

fsutil dirty set C:

After that, reboot the computer so chkdsk can scan for errors.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
To Resolution: I did a scandisk and analysis before attempting to defrag. :)

To Keymaker: I'm using WinXP defrag. I have a 120GB HDD, and I just recently found out that WinXP defrag doesn't support drives over 100GBs!
Is this true? If so What program (hopefully free) can I use. I'm really upset that nothing is mentioned anywhere on MS website about this incompatability problem!! I'm going to let MS know of my displeasure! Thanks for any advise you have to offer......and thanks again for your replies to my previous thread! :)

Proff

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
proff said:
I have a 120GB HDD, and I just recently found out that WinXP defrag doesn't support drives over 100GBs!
Is this true?
You shouldn't have that problem if you have Service Pack 1 or 2 installed.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.