Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to start out by saying thanks to all those who take their time to help debug and fix the many problems of our day. I now have one of my own. Recently, I have become increasingly interested in learning linux, so i decided to give it a try. I downloaded linux redhat 8.0 from the internet-it takes a long time btw. I also obtained partition magic 8.0. I now know that i should have just used fdisk or something similiar. I used partition magic to partition 5GB for linux and i also made the partition active upon reboot-so i could install linux. Little did I know that it was the last time i was going to see windows. Installation ran somewhat smoothly and linux was up and running. I installed the linux dual boot program: i forget the name. grub or something like it. The computer was then rebooted so i could go back into windows, the dual boot screen came up properly and windows STARTED to load properly. After it was mostly loaded, I recieved an error that states: xmnt2002 not found skipping autocheck and the system reboots. After many attempts and dwindling hope, i figured it was time to ask the professionals. I have tried to reinstall windows on the c drive, but it cannot continue and it fails. It also says that my c drive (windows) is an inactive partition. Is there any way to activate the partition or get into windows. I just need to get into windows once so i can back up some data. If there is anyone that might be able to help, i would greatle appreciate it. Im willing to try most anyting, until im left with no option but to format.

·
Citizen of the world
51,047 Posts
I'd start by checking out Bootpart, I use it to configure dual boot configurations and repair W2K/XP boot configurations.

Note that it'll probably not allow you to boot Linux, at least until you go back and add it to the boot configuration, but you should be able to repair the XP boot and access Windows again. ;)

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.