Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok.. I'm not very good w/ computers and recently got DSL. I was told to purchase a firewall protection but do I really need it. Looking at some stuff on the net I keep reading about WinXP has its own firewall.. If so where can I find it? Is it as good as some say it is? How do I use it? Im currently running NIS & AntiVirus and some of my online programs run crappy.
Thanks in advance.

Compaq Persario 5400us
Intel Cele 1.2 GHz
384 MB ram
20 GB HD partitioned(by company) 14.9 & 3.7

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
Welcome,

IMHO Xp's built in firewall is crap it only blocks the netbios port and thats about it ... If you dont want to get a router with a built in firewall (Linksys $79 - 4 port, just about anywhere) then you can go the software route. I would goto http://www.zonealarm.com and check out their software firewall. Its free and I used to use it allot -- its well designed and should secure your system nicely.

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
The Linksys box is good, but it's not really a firewall. It only does Network Address Translation (NAT). IMHO, run Zone Alarm. Or, best solution, do both!

If you want a small firewall, look at d-link. They have a box that does stateful packet inspection.

XP firewall is better than nothing, however.

·
Registered
34 Posts
To answer your question, click start/My Network Places. Under the heading Network Tasks(on the left) select "View Network Connections". Highlight "Local Area Connection". Select "Change settings of this connection". Select the Advanced tab, and uncheck(or check as the case may be) the box under the heading "Internet Conecction Firewall".
I use Norton Internet Security also. It's "Personal Firewall" works much better that the built in XP firewall.
Define "crappy". Do they run at all? If they do, then it's not the firewall. Does Nortons keep asking for you for permission to allow programs and apps access to the internet? If this is the case, select the appropriate option when asked and then select the box marked always"perform this action" or something along those lines.
Hope this helps.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I use Norton's Firewall, I like it. I get sniffed once a day on average, I like having the protection. That's on a cable modem, by the way. I actually got sniffed a little more when I was on DSL.

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
Hey Skaff. I assume you mean probed? To me, sniffed means someone is running a Sniffer - the generic term for a Protocol Analyzer running Packet Capture and analysis.

I would hope that your traffic isn't being sniffed! ;)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Having firewall protection is essential, particularly for always connected broadband internet access. You really don't have to pay for a good firewall, there are many freeware ones that work just as well or better than off the shelf products. One in particular that I use myself is ZoneAlarm, it's very highly rated and free. You can download from:

www.zonealarm.com

You can check how this works visiting another site:

http://grc.com/intro.htm

There, you Will be able to probe your pots and see how vulnerable you are to hackers. Then run another test after installing Zone Alarm. Hope this helps.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.